FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to close and delete projects.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
How to close and delete projects.
on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:16:14 pm

I'm new to FCPX 10.1 and Maverick, I created a project I no longer need and when I attempt to delete it I get a message saying "Can't delete because it's in use". I assume the message refers to the project open in the timeline, but can't figure out how to close it.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How to close and delete projects.
on Feb 23, 2014 at 4:39:52 pm

Are you trying to delete it from within FCPX? I do that all the time by just selecting the project and hitting CMD+Delete. There might be something else going on. Have you backed all the way back in your timeline history (not sure if that would make a difference, just throwing it out there). Maybe there's something different about your event or library.

Try making a new library and create and delete a project from there. Can you do it?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 23, 2014 at 5:09:27 pm

I can delete other projects, the ones I can not delete report they are "in use" and I've noted they are open in the timeline. I can not figure out how to close the open time line or what it means when they report they "can not be deleted because timeline is in use".

I'm just getting started with FCPX and watching the basic tutorials, I don't know what I don't know yet. There is definitely a few things going on that are different in tutorials

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 23, 2014 at 5:23:39 pm

I have no problem deleting a project that's currently open. Is it possible that you're dealing with clips that are transcoding or rendering? Try opening your background processes and pausing or canceling anything in there.

Andy

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 23, 2014 at 5:47:29 pm

No background task processing.

I'm now attempting to delete a compound clip, I made this when I removed DSLR Camera audio and added clean audio from recorder. When I attempt to move it to trash it reports, "Clips in Use Final Cut Pro Trial cannot delete multicam or compound clips that are in use". I'm not using this clip, it has incorrect audio mixed with camera mic, my screw up. In this case the Compound Clip is not open in a timeline or I guess we now say Lane?

I opened the Compound Clip in a Lane and deleted its contents (video/audio) and it continues to give me the same message. I've tried searching what the message means with no luck.

My original question remains, How do you close an open project or timeline or Lane?

I'm also curious about the lack of a search window when Importing media. My projects can tend to be large with hundreds hours of footage, not the project I'm working on now, and when I need to import a single clip its much easier to search for it rather than search through the multitude of clips.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 23, 2014 at 6:54:50 pm

If you can't delete a compound because it's in use, then it either is in use or it's in the undo cache. Was it ever in the timeline? And what the heck is a lane? Like any app, just quit and relaunch to clear the undo cache. You can't close a timeline that I know of. Closing it wouldn't clear the undo cache. Best I can think of is create a new project(sequence) and then quit FCP. Then reopen. That will clear the undo cache, and the original timeline will be cleared from the recent timeline back/forward buttons.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 23, 2014 at 7:41:41 pm
Last Edited By Andy Neil on Feb 23, 2014 at 7:43:30 pm

[Michael Harrington] "My original question remains, How do you close an open project or timeline or Lane?"

To answer this question, there is no "Close Project" command. You can either open another project, or you can delete a project.

EDIT: A third thing. You can close the library which will close the project. But you must have at least one Library open so if it's your only one, create a new library before closing the problem one.

I agree with Bret. Close FCPX and restart to clear the undo cache.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]