FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Library File Size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
FCPX Library File Size
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:51:29 am
Last Edited By Michael Harrington on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:52:30 am

Is there a maximum FCPX Library File Size? My system, Maverick and FCPX 10.1 runs sluggish with the project described below.

Ive just started editing in FCPX and working on my first cut, imported 4500 jpegs and did not copy or optimize for import, imported 10sec duration, edited all into time line, changed each clip duration to 1 frame, total duration about :55. When I had a few projects open the system runs very slow, spinning beach ball, huge lag time on executing a command.

Exported a ProRes file of the speed up project, imported it new project to play with speed changes in different sections. If I have just this project open the system runs smooth.

The entire Library has just three projects and pointers for the 4500 images, the file size is 13.5GB, is this considered huge considering the size of the project.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: FCPX Library File Size
on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:38:45 am

Your jpegs might be too large. Over 5000 pixels can cause X too slow down, and if they are 300dpi then you need to bring them down to 72dpi.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:01:09 pm

Yes, of course, that makes since.

Is there a Maximum file size?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 21, 2014 at 3:55:55 pm

There is no maximum file size I know of.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:04:44 pm

Hmmm, what would be considered a LARGE file?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:43:13 pm

13,5 GB is nothing, really. Large JPEGS are usually 5 MB. When editing video you usually deal with a lot bigger files sizes. I have libraries that range between 50 GB and 1 TB, a minute of DSLR Footage is about 400 MB and today I just got my Blackmagic 4K and 1 minute of Ultra HD is 5 GB.

If your files have a very high dpi then that's very likely causing your problem. You can edit 300 dpi images on the latest iMacs ver wellbut to play them smoothly you need to render, once in a while there's a crash. In my experience on older macs and on FCP7 its pretty much impossible.

If you have 4500 of them and as many cuts then you are really straining your system.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 21, 2014 at 9:08:33 pm

I have libraries going over 200gigs and haven't noticed any performance issues from that.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:18:54 pm

I wonder if you select to optimize media when importing still images if FCPX would resize the still image.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:25:34 pm

[Michael Harrington] "I wonder if you select to optimize media when importing still images if FCPX would resize the still image."

No, it leaves it as is. Jpeg are already considered optimized, and it doesn't make a proxy from a JPEG.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 22, 2014 at 9:58:23 am

Hate to point this out but DPI has no effect on the file size of an image.

You can test this by saving the same picture with different DPI settings and the file size will remain the same. It may happen that the NLE will display the picture differently depending on the DPI setting but that has nothing to do with file size.

DPI is a printer instruction on how far apart to print each pixel. Some people think that the higher the DPI the higher the picture detail. Nope. Detail is how many pixels make up a given area. Want more detail? Look at the dimensions of the image. A picture of, say, 10 pixels by 10 pixels will be 10x10 regardless of the DPI setting. With a high DPI setting those 100 pixels will just be printed closer together on paper.

The detail of a picture depends on how many pixels make up the picture and that is determined by its length in pixels times its height in pixels. You don't create new pixels or take away pixels by changing the DPI setting. DPI instruction to a printer tells it how much to spread out the printing of the pixels.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:10:08 am

Nobody said 300dpi had anything to do with size. Perhaps I wasn't clear in seperating size and dpi. 300dpi images will bring any NLE to a halt no matter what size they are.In FCP 7 even one 300dpi image in the timeline can become very annoying when rendering or exporting. X can deal with 300dpi but the more you put in the sluggier it gets. Images need to be 72 dpi to edit smoothly.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 22, 2014 at 2:06:00 pm

RE: "300dpi images will bring any NLE to a halt no matter what size they are."

Simply not true.

Tell that myth to Final Cut Pro X now playing my 20,000 dpi image as easily as the same image next to it but with a dpi of 20.

I had done this test before but I repeated it just now…

Same picture, only 368x580, but three versions; one at 20 dpi, one at 2,000 dpi and one at 20,000 dpi. It made absolutely no difference in FCPX even on my old 2006 Mac pro. No difference in performance. No difference in display size. No difference in how it looked.

No difference. That's because whether the picture has a high or low dpi setting, the pictures to the NLE are the same. Both contain the same number of pixels (368x580). All the NLE cares about is how many pixels it has to push. It doesn't care how far apart they'll be when printed to paper.

DPI is just a printer instruction. You can ignore it for video.

What CAN happen is that the more pixels in the picture (unrelated to DPI) the more processing power it needs from the NLE. But you cannot reduce the number of pixels in a picture by reducing its DPI count. The two parameters have nothing to do with one another. You fix NOTHING for video by reducing the dpi of an image.

Final Cut Pro 7 was a 32-bit application. Pixel counts greater than 4000x4000 would choke it regardless of its DPI setting. When I did my test years ago on Final Cut Pro 7 I could put in a picture with a MASSIVE DPI number and as long as the pixel count wasn't larger than 4000 pixels x 4000 pixels it would work fine.

FCPX is a 64-bit application and can handle much higher pixel counts. But, again, pixel count and dpi have nothing in common. One does not affect the other in video.

If an image is slowing your performance and you know your system and software is running well then you can reduce the number of pixels for the NLE to push but you don't do it by reducing the dpi number. You'll be wasting your time.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 22, 2014 at 2:37:08 pm

Thanks for the info, huge help moving forward with FCPX 10.1. I remember all to well searching through hundreds of edits and source material trying to identify why FCP7 would not complete an output.

BTW, the 4500 images I used came from a GoPro camera set on time-lapse, the images are 3200x2400 72dpi. While in my original event to string these images together before making a quicktime file, FCPX brought my entire system to a screeching halt, all apps even the finder were extremely slow.

I've made a quicktime and working in a different event now and running smoothly, so far.

On with my tutorials and first FCPX 10.1 project.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 22, 2014 at 5:52:20 pm

[Don Smith] "Simply not true.

Tell that myth to Final Cut Pro X now playing my 20,000 dpi image as easily as the same image next to it but with a dpi of 20."

I stand corrected. I tried it out myself and just realised that all these years I always had resample clicked (as is by default in Photoshop). In this case it does resize when changing dpi. Something I never really thought about, probably because I rarely have to deal with 300dpi images.

But the myth does seem very prevalent. At the beginning of my career that was what I was told to do whenever FCP Legacy had problems with images, and it worked, of course, since resample was always clicked...:-)

Thanks for the clarification Don.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 22, 2014 at 6:45:31 pm

You're a gentleman and I'm so glad I didn't offend. It's just been a crusade for me since I learned about it in the 7 days years ago because, you're right, the myth of dpi in video is prevalent. For me, I wasn't born knowing this. I bought into the myth for while myself until I was 'educated'.

I wrote, but deleted because I had gone on too much by then, a paragraph about cautioning how having resampling checked could trick a person into thinking that dpi mattered but all Photoshop (or whatever app you're using) is doing is making the changing dots-per-inch fit into the unchanging inches high and wide that would be printed.

Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 24, 2014 at 2:00:48 am

Higher dpi images do tend to be larger so I think that's where the myth started. It's all about pixel dimensions. DPI is on relevant in printing, and it's surprising how many print graphic designers don't understand it. I don't know how many times I've been asked to produce a still from video that is 300dpi. I have to go through and explain how photo size, fixed video resolution and dpi work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]