FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jittery. Strange Artifacts. Horrible performance. Need assist. Thanks.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Babbitt
Jittery. Strange Artifacts. Horrible performance. Need assist. Thanks.
on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:33:38 am

I tried going through Apple and thought I'd gotten an answer but after a couple of weeks it turned out to be a false alarm. I'm at a loss and would seriously appreciate any ideas.

I have been all over the forums reading posts about others with what sounds like the same problem. So far, I've got no fix for mine.

Footage IN PLAYBACK ONLY in FCPX 10.1.1 is jittery, it's like somebodies trying to make a rap album both video and audio jitter thoughout play, though audio is not' affected.

Two weeks ago I did not have this problem.

All my old projects are equally effected.

Files ingested for new project are same as all other projects.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Internal Harddrive with FCPX: 565 Gb available (out of 2TB)
Internate Harddrive with Media files: 580 GB available (out of 2TB)
(This is the exact same thing it was two weeks ago)

Media: Proxy media, optimized media. All rendered. Does not matter which I choose.
Quality: Better Performance.

Does not matter if background rendering is going or has finished.

I've deleted preferences. No fix.

Last ditch effort is to reinstall FCP see if that fixes it.

This ONLY seems to be affected in FCPX. Motion is perfectly fine. Other programs are perfectly fine.

TDSLR. 23.98 fps. Canon. H.264 original codec. Imported with proxy and optimized. Settings are always on Better Peformance/Optimzied-Original. As to pulldown, I've created about three dozen projects on this over the last six months haven't touched pulldown ever. Never had a problem until now. And I can't find any files that are somehow different to make a difference.

Here's more that's been happening. Nothing else seems to be affected. No other programs. No other video issues. It's all inside FCPX.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled to see if that would help, if it was maybe some plugin or something. Didn't affect it.

Two new symptoms have risen:

1) When I scrub through occasionally the Event Monitor will either turn all orange or get pixelated like, well, bad video, duh.

2) The background render is freaking out. I'd move the playhead to a different position and I watched the render monitor and it flies through 0%-100% and keeps doing it and nothing appears to get rendered. Just keeps cycling through it. Finally I turned off background render and it stopped but if I force render it, it goes right back to spinning like crazy. I can even still move around in the program but that little 100% window just churns and churns.

Thanks guys in advance.

Michael

-----
http://www.bombshellstudios.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Jittery. Strange Artifacts. Horrible performance. Need assist. Thanks.
on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:19:12 am

In my case my whole computer suddenly acted like it was trying to run through a swimming pool. One day I launched Activity Monitor (in Utilities) and saw that some 'agent' was gobbling a huge amount of CPU time. I double-clicked on the listing and quit the process and I was back to normal. Couldn't notice any other change. FCPX ran normal for a couple of weeks with the Mac Pro (3,1 in my case) being powered off and on. Then yesterday, it sneaked up on me again. I realized that I was fighting FCPX. Checked and, yup, it was that 'agent' back again. Quit it again. Good again.

And, to suggest the obvious, delete your FCPX prefs with Preference Manager. Google it and it usually comes up to the top of the list. Free. Great. You don't lose any custom keyboards but you must reselect one of them after preferences delete.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Babbitt
on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:24:41 am

Don, I did the preference trashing so many times I was dreaming about it. That is always one of the first thing I do when stuff goes wrong with FCPX or Motion.

I looked for any weird agent anomaly in AM but didn't see anything so alas I couldn't try that fix.

thx

-----

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:32:41 pm

I'd add to trashing prefs using Disk Warrior. IMHO, every Mac user should own it. Any time my Mac acts funny I run DW and it goes back to normal. It rebuilds your directory which is an area that can cause all sorts of trouble when it gets "off."

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Michael Babbitt
on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:27:07 am

John, I used Digital Rebellion, it does a number of clean up type stuff with FCPX. I also use MainMenu a lot to keep things humming.

thx.

-----

Return to posts index

Michael Babbitt
on Feb 22, 2014 at 12:30:15 am

Latest.

So I began to suspect my video cards (which doesn't make me happy.) I noticed that if I shifted the Viewer back to the one display (the Gateway) it would work fine but whenever it was on the HP it crapped out.

To test, I went in, made sure the cards were seated properly. Then I switched the monitors a couple of times and ran a video test thru Tech Tools.

Well turns out, the Gateway works fine in either card. The HP2509b craps out on both cards.

My conclusion is that it's actually the monitor not the card.

However, that doesn't seem right because why would the monitor compromise FCPX performance?

Any thoughts?

-----

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]