FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1 Organizing for Import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
FCPX 10.1 Organizing for Import
on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:36:44 pm

I've been watching tutorials on FCPX 10.1 and noticing these tutorials start with a minimum number of media files and separate audio files to be synced and they are neatly named and in appropriate folders, etc. The focus of these tutorials is on how to operate FCPX, not how to best organize your workflow to deal with numerous files. So far I have not found tutorials that discuss the best workflow for dealing with large scale production and numerious files in numerous folders.

My first project spans across 5 days, 4 GoPro's, 1 DSLR and sound from Zoom and Tascam. In the field I transferred media files into folder structure Day>CamName(70D/GoPro1, 2, 3 etc).>Audio(Zoom, Tascam). Some days have numerous files spread accross several folders within folders.

Whats the best workflow for organizing in the field to aid with import and keeping organized during editing. I understand keywords will help once import is complete but what about maintaining the same folder structure as when copying files to hard drive in the field.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX 10.1 Organizing for Import
on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:29:00 pm

There's an import preference to use folder name as keyword.

This starts you off with a general organization that you can always modify later.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: FCPX 10.1 Organizing for Import
on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:38:49 pm
Last Edited By Michael Garber on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:43:29 pm

My folder structure is generally the same as yours. When you say some days have numerous files spread across several folders, what do you mean?

On my last shoot, I created a folder with the day number of the shoot (this could also be the date). So instead of the date, it'll be Day 01, Day 02. Some people place the year first to help with sorting. So, 140220 instead of 022014.

For my CamName folders, I'll add an _001, _002 them in incremental order of reels.

So, I'll get: Day_01:CamName:CamName_001
and for audio, Day_01:CamName:Audio

If I use audio from a recorder, it's always been from a single unit. So, I place the entire day's worth in one folder.

As for importing into FCP, it depends on the kind of footage. But if it's DSLR, then the reel name should come along with the folder that the files are in. So, the reel gets CamName_001 etc.

I'll generally just group by reel name in FCP instead of creating multiple keyword collections.

If there are tons of days of material, then I'll create a new event based on the day of the shoot.

From there, once you've synced your sound, you can move clips to new events based, say on scene or location, etc...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]