FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 5.1 and 2 channel matrix from FCPX results in a downmix.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Tennant
Exporting 5.1 and 2 channel matrix from FCPX results in a downmix.
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:00:09 pm

Hey Folks,

I'm a sound editor by trade and not super versed in FCP or FCPX, so apologies if this is a little rough:

I have a Prores QT file with 5.1 + 2 soundtracks already exported and done (from a client). I also have a production company logo and 8 channels of audio (5.1 + 2) I need to amend to the head of the client file and re-export.

I found this little tutorial and followed the instructions as best I could (my situation is a bit different but close enough...): http://www.interfacelab.net/blog/files/2c5acbd8fc822b71404c0e5342c02225-34....

So I:
Imported my video logo file into timeline, no problem.
I pulled in the 8 audio files related to that logo.
I assigned channel configuration to each of the 8 files.
I created a 2-0 mix role and a 5-1 mix role and assigned each file to the correct role.
I pulled them into the timeline in sync with the logo

I then imported the client file into the sequence and dropped it into the timeline
I expanded the audio to see all 8 tracks are present
Under configuration for that file I chose 5.1 + 2 and the audio channels view in the timeline updates and shows 1 surround channel and one stereo channel. It doesn't give me options for selecting individual channels and assigning them, but this still seemed to be correct,
I assigned each to the appropriate ROLE (5-1 and 2-0 respectively)

Finally I go to SHARE Master File
I make it a multitrack quicktime with the 5-1 role and the 2-0 role
and I export.

It creates a quicktime file which at first glance LOOKS correct, the INFO browser shows 5.1 and Matrix Stereo however if I pull it into any software to verify the channels are in the right order it reveals that the 5.1 tracks just have audio on 1/2 and channels 3-6 are blank.

It seems to be creating a "downmix" of the surround audio when exporting the 5-1 role, although it's still creating all 8 tracks in the QT container file. It s doing so for both the client file audio AND for the logo audio I added: so no matter if it is 6 individual files with assigned channel configurations OR if it is a 'Surround' track puled in an already wrapped QT.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing in terms of letting FCPX export discrete channels without downmixing them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: Exporting 5.1 and 2 channel matrix from FCPX results in a downmix.
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:08:25 pm

Vince,

Read through this thread. Let me know if it sorts things out for you ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]