FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam editing in FCP X - without multi-clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Watson
Multicam editing in FCP X - without multi-clips
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:54:18 pm

Hello all,

I tend to cut music concerts, sometimes with up to 40/50 cameras but don't use multi-clips. I prefer to stack the angles and make selections of each creating a rather large piano roll. It's messy, but it works for me.

Would I be wasting my time trying to achieve this method in FCP X in its current state? I'm hanging on to FCP 7 but slowly losing grip!

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Multicam editing in FCP X - without multi-clips
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:14:39 pm

Whaaaa? Multi cam in FCP X is the BEST feature of the entire program! Learn it. Use it. Enjoy it.

Return to posts index

Tom Watson
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:22:08 pm

I have a unusual way of working Mark that I'd rather not change. Without learning FCP X, I'd like to know if it's possible or not.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:45:41 pm

Of course it's possible.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:47:12 pm

In understand you have a way of working that you 'd rather not change, and the way you work now in FCP7 will work perfectly in FCPX as well.

OTOH I absolutely agree with Mark: multicam is really, really good in FCPX. You absolutely should try it once just to see how well it works. Then you can always decide for yourself if you want to continue working as you do now or not.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Tom Watson
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:53:14 pm

I'm sure the multi-cam is great is FCPX but without going into boring specifics I just don't like to use that function. Especially when you get to upwards of 40 cameras.

If you're saying I can work the same way though that's great and exactly what I was after!

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:56:23 pm

Clip-skimmer. A great tool for viewing any clip in that insane stack on it's own without having to turn on/off tracks or solo, etc.

If you're using tracks for organization though... cam 1-track 1, cam-2 track 2, and the like, then you might have issues. If an area of your timeline doesn't have all the camera angles, then your stack at that point won't sync up horizontally. But since there aren't any tracks, that concept isn't much use anyway as there aren't any horizontal guides.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:58:09 pm

You could always use secondary storylines to keep things separated.

Return to posts index

Tom Watson
on Feb 17, 2014 at 7:01:18 pm

That's exactly what I do. To seperate nights, graphics, wides etc. and delete sections I don't want as I go.

I'll have a look into secondary stories.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:18:26 pm

You might just disable chunks instead of deleting too. That would help preserve order.

Return to posts index

Tom Watson
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:14:03 pm

Great shout. Thanks Bret

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:57:33 pm

I'd just like to chime in with a bit of a warning - if you have a very specific FCP7 workflow that is sort of unique, FCPX will be all sorts of frustrating at first.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:31:25 am

Beyond that, hanging on to a process that was the ONLY way to functionally do the task in a different program - now that you have new capabilities - begs the question, how do you know there's not a better/easier way using X as it was designed than trying to hold onto what made you comfortable with the older software?

For me the major rush of learning the X way of multi-cam was the amazing improvement in FOCUS it allowed me to achieve while working much, much faster.

Instead of trying to watch 16 (or 40!) shots at a time to pick the best of the moment - I learned that there's not penalty to doing "multiple improvement" passes in X - concentrating on groups of shots rather than trying to judge everything against everything else all the time by necessity.

IN a typical band music video, for example, during a blazing guitar solo, I STILL do my first pass, picking just a generic guitar featuring shot - knowing that when I make my second pass over JUST THAT SECTION, I' can call up every single camera that involves the guitar player and change any of my selections - at any point in time - at will. And I can just as easily switch groups AFTER I make that cut that I *think* is my final - to see if there might be some oddball reaction from another musician or a crowd reaction to cut in if I think THAT would improve the scene flow.

Essentially, I discovered that having too many cameras was hardly EVER as good a way to create exactly the "switch" that I wanted - compared to being able to very easily focus on groups of shots and build and re-build at will - switching out shot groups at will.

Multi-cam in X is so incredibly stress free compared to the way I used to do it - that I can't even imagine going back to the old way.

But to each their own.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:12:01 pm

Its possible to maintain spacial relationship with secondary story lines but would be far more inefficient than doing it with a track based system. FCPX is really only good for the features where it's made progress on 7. If you're not taking advantage of them, you might just be slowing yourself down for no good reason.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:26:44 pm

[David Powell] "ts possible to maintain spacial relationship with secondary story lines but would be far more inefficient than doing it with a track based system. "

This is a bit of a stretch.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:17:55 pm

People were actually using X like this before they added multi-cam when it first came out.

Since X syncs through sound, some would just sync up the clips and stack them in the timeline
(I guess the way you do) and then just blade them.

The sound syncing seemed to make quick work of it.

While Mark makes a good point, at least X gives you the option to do it more than one way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]