FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is this? Issue converting old 10.0.3 project, er, library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
What is this? Issue converting old 10.0.3 project, er, library
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:18:33 pm

I have to output a few shots sans music from an old project and instead of hunting through logs or raw footage, I figured I'd just convert the old project (which is nicely consolidated to just the used footage and final sequence) and output a few files. But attached is what I get. It's all multi cam from 2 cameras. A 5D mk III and a 7D. (or was the 2nd camera an original 5D, I forget) but all the 5D mk III footage is seemingly offline, although it doesn't say it is. The shots in the event just have that compound clip icon, and in the timeline there's a weird red highlight across the top. Maybe that's X's way of saying "some" of this multi cam is offline?

Oddly, if you reveal in finder from the event, the footage is right there. Perfectly playable. If you then drag that clip to the event from the finder, it THEN adds an offline instance, and also marks the previous instance offline. Also in the finder it then adds the (fcp1) to the clip name. Ugh.

How do I relink to all this media now that it's in the bundle? I saw that you can make an alias, but is there a better way?

It's all original h264 not optimized/transcoded.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: What is this? Issue converting old 10.0.3 project, er, library
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:36:18 pm

When I try to relink to the file I get this-

I'm literally relinking to the original h264 used. Obviously it hasn't been trimmed since that capability doesn't exist. I have opened this project pre-10.1 conversion numerous times over the years.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:49:11 pm

That thick red bar usually means the Audio is missing.

If you open one of those multi cam clips, what do you see?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:52:47 pm

In the multi cam, which consists of a 7D clip and a 5D mk III clip, the 5D mk III is offline. The audio is from a zoom recorder and is fine and synced up with the 7D. The multi cam only utilizes the zoom audio, not the camera audio. And the audio in the timeline is fine.

Glad I saved a copy of this one when I converted! Always do.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:57:13 pm

Oh, and if you look in the event screenshot, there is one clip that linked back up automatically. But it's wrong. A whole different section of the interview. The clips were long 5-10 minute runs. So I guess the issue is TC? Maybe that clip is the only one long enough that it found TC to sync up to?

The 5D mk III was brand new when we shot this, and it has different abilities than the mk II. Perhaps they've changed how they deal with it's media since then.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:57:45 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'm literally relinking to the original h264 used. "

Haven't tried it, but this little app might be of some help...

http://telemarq.com/products/fcpxchange/

Force relink for X using XML. Worth a shot right?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:09:03 pm

If I really needed to rebuild the project. But I just need a few shots, so other than curiosity I need to just manually fix it and get it out. I'll be putting this back the way it was and hoping a later version of X will convert it correctly!

Oh, and in looking at the multi cam deeper, the audio is missing from both camera files. It just wasn't obvious because I wasn't using the audio from the cameras. But I suppose that's what the red highlight is. So still, no mention of any of the files being offline. Odd.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:27:55 pm

[Bret Williams] "Oh, and in looking at the multi cam deeper, the audio is missing from both camera files. It just wasn't obvious because I wasn't using the audio from the cameras. But I suppose that's what the red highlight is. So still, no mention of any of the files being offline. Odd."

I think the big red highlight is the mention that the audio is offline.

Two things.

- Trash your thumbnail and peaks data.

- See if the relinker that Charlie mentioned works.

- The default pref used to create Optimize media for mulitcam clips. Are you sure you aren't missing the optimized media?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:39:45 pm

I never transcode or optimize anything, but it's a possibility that I experimented before consolidating and archiving this project. Although it doesn't explain the dozens of times I opened it under 10.0.9 and earlier. I'd just put the project and event online with Event Mgr X and open it right up. I'll have to check on some other similar multi cam projects from that period now.

After I just get these couple clips out I'll dig into the potential fixes. Thanks guys! At least the audio from the project and the one existing angle helped me find the correct shots to grab and export. But I do want to slowly get all my old projects converted to the library format. I've converted probably 5-10 or so without incident before this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]