FORUMS: list search recent posts

7toX (re-edited first post), offline/online workflow in FCP 7 project then moving to FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Harby
7toX (re-edited first post), offline/online workflow in FCP 7 project then moving to FCP X
on Feb 16, 2014 at 11:00:57 am
Last Edited By Edward Harby on Feb 16, 2014 at 9:29:51 pm

Hey guys, (I re-edited this post to make more sense)

I was doing a project in final cut 7 using the Shane Ross offline online workflow. The original footage was shot on the 5d MKII and I basically used log and transfer to create prores proxy files.
What's the best workflow in bringing in that project (really sequence) to X? Basically I'm worried I won't be able to A: relink to the original footage or B:Retain the data gained from Log and & transfer in order to upres.

I'm up for anything. I'd love to reconnect my original files to the h264 files (the 5d footage) and let FCP X do the optimize media / proxy render files.

Oh yeah, I also tried tricking FCP X to go offline and relink to the h264, but it thinks the original files are too different to proceed.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: 7toX, Using Proxy files in 7, want to work in X with reconnected files (or at least carrying proxy meta data)
on Feb 16, 2014 at 2:10:27 pm

I've found that you can't cheat the proxy process in 10.1. Formerly in 10.0.9 and before, you could place proxies that you created externally in the event proxy folder and it would work. This does not appear to be the case any longer. At least it's no longer working for me. Remember that proxies created by X are 1/2-size of the original, so X is also tracking effects and scaling sizes as you toggle between original/optimized and proxy.

By your description, though, it doesn't sound like these are proxy files. Do you mean that with FCP 7 Log and Transfer you transcoded to ProRes Proxy? Or are you simply saying "proxy" to mean a substitute for the camera originals? If these were really transcoded to ProResLT or higher in FCP 7 L&T, they are optimized files and there is no reason to go back to the camera files. These new QT movie files are your camera masters in that case.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
Re: 7toX, Using Proxy files in 7, want to work in X with reconnected files (or at least carrying proxy meta data)
on Feb 16, 2014 at 9:35:25 pm

They are Prores Proxy files. I re-edited my original post a bit.

My idea of proxy is a file that connect to the original footage. It seems like prores proxy does not? They are just low quality files (I'd love to be wrong about this, but I think that's the case). Basically, I don't want FCPX to treat these prores "proxy" files as master files / source material.

and I have tried tricking FCPX by renaming a folder and relinking them to the h264 files (the 5d footage) but thinks it's completely different footage.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:14:36 pm

[Edward Harby] "My idea of proxy is a file that connect to the original footage."

Here's the rub. You've converted a long-GOP camera file with no proper timecode to ProResProxy. So ideally, you want this Proxy to link back to that original file correctly. There's no given that it will actually do that, especially since HDSLR files often end up with duplicate file names. OTOH, the data rate of ProRes Proxy is already close to or possibly higher than the H264 files that the camera generated, so you might simply proceed with the Proxy files and consider them as camera masters.

[Edward Harby] "and I have tried tricking FCPX"

X will not permit you to do this.

[Edward Harby] "My idea of proxy is a file that connect to the original footage."

No NLE works this way. If you are working in an offline-online scenario, your software creates master clips that are simply virtual clips linked to media. If you have both low-res and high-res files, the traditional approach is to link to the low-res files for the creative edit and then have the software relink to the high-res files for the finish. It can only properly relink when all the correct parameters are aligned.

FCP X uses a different methodology where a master clip (your virtual clip in the event - "bin") has a forked link, in which the same clip can be pointing to both the low-res and high-res media. A software toggle allows you to work with one set or the other and X keep track of everything for you. In order for this to work properly (at least now in 10.1), the proxy files have to be generated by FCP X.

I realize the terms get a little confusing, because there's "proxy" - meaning a low-res substitute file; and there's ProRes Proxy - meaning a specific low-res codec.

At this point, I'd recommend the following approach as a "maybe" solution.

1. Send your FCP 7 XML to Resolve Lite (free).
2. Delete the clips from the Media Pool and navigate to your camera master files and import these (timeline should relink).
3. Render these to ProRes using the Easy Set-up for FCPXML.
4. Import that FCPXML into FCP X, which *should* give you a trimmed sequence that matches your cut in FCP 7.

Alternatively, you could try relinking to the camera files in FCP 7 first and then generate an XML. This XML then has to go through the 7toX translation utility before importing into FCP X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:26:16 pm

I thought about going the resolve route. I'll give it a shot late tonight or tomorrow.
I mean this is caused by a slew of problems from the FCP 7 process and the outdated canon plugin (some clips not fully transcoded, would crash)... Also renaming the files via the log and transfer process.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 16, 2014 at 10:53:19 pm

[Edward Harby] "I mean this is caused by a slew of problems from the FCP 7 process"

I've been working with Canon 5D/7D files since the camera first made its mark in video and you are right, the EOS L&T plug-in is junk. I have a whole different process for working with these files, but it starts with transcoding the camera files into a higher-quality format. I consider these transcodes as the camera masters throughout the rest of the job. Good luck.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:52:11 pm
Last Edited By Edward Harby on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:20:20 pm

[delete]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]