FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K and playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ferraro
4K and playback
on Feb 14, 2014 at 10:23:14 pm

I am starting to do time lapse at 4K and playback is critical to spot any flickering or image jumps. I work with USB3.0 raid (Buffalo). It works fine when playing back the final movie but not as good from FCPX inside.
What would be the solution?
A thunderbolt drive? with solid SSD. Very expensive, as well as enclosures to put two 3GB drives that I have on the esata raid.
An USB3.0 dock with an 128-256 SSD would be a cheaper solution since the two TB ports are occupied with BlackMagic minimmonitor and Lacie esata converter.
Opinions?
Thanks

Imac 27 Quad 3.4, 16GB Ram, 2GB Graphics, 6GB USB3.0 & Esata Raids
http://www.ferrarofilmsau.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: 4K and playback
on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:22:19 am

Why not work in proxy mode for critical motion tests.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 4K and playback
on Feb 15, 2014 at 3:04:15 am

[Carlo Ferraro] "I am starting to do time lapse at 4K and playback is critical to spot any flickering or image jumps. I work with USB3.0 raid (Buffalo). "

No USB 3 Drive can really support a full 4K workflow, you might be able to handle ProRes Proxy or LT from that drive but you get what you pay for.

4K is not for the timid.

4K is not something you want to edit on anything but the fastest drives possible, if fiber is barely fast enough for 4k workflows, there is no way your inexpensive USB drive will be able to compete, it was not designed for that level of performance.

You need to be editing on a RAID volume to maintain the speed that 4K needs, I would not recommend any drive with less than 4 disks minimum, with 8+ being optimal.

Thunderbolt is the only connection technology that has enough power to handle 4K without a hassle, accept it and you will enjoy a lot less hassles.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]