FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing P2 files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Importing P2 files
on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:34:08 pm

What do you recommend for importing P2 files into FCP X.

I have been copying the P2 cards in the finder to a labeled folder in a master folder that contains the library for that project.

Next I have imported those files into the library in an event or new event.

Questions: is it better to copy of reference these files?

Is it best to optimize them or do they already work natively in FC?

What is the advantage of creating an archive of the files using FC instead of a direct copy in the finder?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Importing P2 files
on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:39:38 pm

You can't reference them. X must rewrap them as movs. So they get rewrapped (not transcoded) and put in the library. It's native support, but I think you can also transcode them.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:54:30 pm

Thanks,

is the archive feature just to do this within FC rather than in the finder? Or does the archive help being able to import them?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:56:02 pm

I don't use archives. They're really not much use to me. So I don't know.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:14:31 pm

it looks like it is just another form of library folder with the same folders from the P2 card that I have been copying over.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:23:16 am

If you're strictly in FCX 10.1 domain, then native FCP 10.1 import is fine. However, if you need to use the clips for other apps like Adobe After FX, Premiere, then I'd use the legacy FCP 7.0.3's Log & Xfer to rewrap all of the P2 media. Whatever you do, always keep the original P2 media and its legacy 1980s DOS FAT-16 file structure! It works great in Premiere CS6 natively for time sensitively edits. But for real creative editing, FCX 10.1 rocks! Someday FCP 10.# can edit P2 natively and you wish the metadata rich original P2 media are all there.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:37:05 am

Thanks Sam.
For all important projects I am saving a copy of the original P2 files as either a FCP camera archive or a straight finder copy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]