FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone use Xto7 App recently? Is it better now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Harby
Anyone use Xto7 App recently? Is it better now?
on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:55:39 pm

Just wondering if Xto7 is working properly now. Thinking about getting it but the reviews from previous updates (2012) show that I should walk away. It's 2014 now. Has it changed much?

I found 7toX great (after unlinking my audio from the video in FCP 7 before the XML stage).
Thanks

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Anyone use Xto7 App recently? Is it better now?
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:27:08 pm

It's a really great product and getting better all the time!

And if there's anything you find doesn't work let the guys at Intelligent Assistance know - they are amazingly quick at responding with bug fixes.

Can't recommend this highly enough and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:33:52 pm

Cool. I'll get it soon, and report back as well.

I'd like to see more positive reviews in plugins like these and FCP X. It's amazing to me that they (and apple) still put time into FCP X, especially when people thought it was dead in the water and people were timid in buying the product. These negative reviews on the release of FCPX sort of set a ripple affect that will probably take 5 years to undo. Maybe that makes them humble?... Maybe I'm reading too much Atlas Shrugged.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:34:03 pm

It's pretty much the most comprehensive way to get your sequence to AE or Premiere. But I recently used it to take a project to pro tools via 7. The video portion was just AE rendered files, so a few cuts and dissolves. That all came across fine. The audio was a VO track, music, and a ton of sfx from the apple library. Mostly .caf files. Many of them had speed changes to make a whoosh/swish lower or higher pitch, and those all came across fine. The only thing that didn't translate was an extended ring-out of a song, where I slowed it down, but told X to retain the pitch. In 7 it slowed down, but the pitch lowered too. All the audio dissolves and keyframes came across perfectly. And the pro-tools session went off without a hitch.

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:35:47 pm

Cool. I use protools... I use everything. Looks like a must have. I just jumped into FCPX and I love it.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:37:29 pm

[Bret Williams] "And the pro-tools session went off without a hitch."

Agreed. Much as I like X2Pro I often find that Xto7 is the most dependable way of getting into ProTools.

And I would reiterate the importance of getting back to the developers with any issues you may have. Their response to bugs is the very best part of an outstandingly good product.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:49:27 pm

How does it handle your keyword collections and smart collections and such? Do they just become bins in Premiere with the same organization?

Return to posts index

em arun
on Feb 13, 2014 at 3:48:56 pm

actually they have to update their software as the FCP X 10.1 does have some problems while importing xmls

emarun, editor
learned editing in Film and Television Institute of Tamilnadu in the year 2002

Return to posts index

Philip Hodgetts
on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:08:58 pm

Xto7 and 7toX have fully supported FCP X 10.1 since October 2013, long before 10.1 was released.

Philip

Philip Hodgetts
President, Intelligent Assistance
AssistedEditing.com Fast First Cuts, Metadata Worfklows
Big Brains for Rent bigbrainsforrent.com
The New Now - Grow your business - ProAppsTips.com
Personal Blog http://philiphodgetts.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:19:09 pm

Hey Phillip, I just replied about how good the organization was. But when I export an event, I don't get any of the projects. Is that an oversight or user error?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:17:48 pm

It appears that if you export an event via "export event XML" in FCP X, you'll end up with a fairly well organized result. You'll get a bin for every keyword collection. Every clip in the bin will be a sub clip, except for still graphics. All those sub clips refer back to clips in a new bin called MASTERS. That's where all the raw media is. Kinda like if you just clicked on the root event to see ALL your media in the event. Your sequences however, don't seem to get exported, even if they were in a keyword collection in the event. I guess those have to be exported separately as "export project xml" and then merged later. I'm not sure why they don't get exported with the event. But if you merge the two, you're going to lose the master clip connection. Hmm. I guess I could be missing something, but my sequences(projects) don't get exported with the event.

Return to posts index

Philip Hodgetts
on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:44:30 pm

Bret, what you're seeing is a limitation of the current FCP X XML. When you have an Event selected, an Event is exported. Project XML is structures a little differently and doesn't fit in the Event XML format, so it has to be exported as Project XML.

BTW, Xto7 snuck in Event translation in the last couple of months. Officially Event translation is not part of the feature set. :)

Philip Hodgetts
President, Intelligent Assistance
AssistedEditing.com Fast First Cuts, Metadata Worfklows
Big Brains for Rent bigbrainsforrent.com
The New Now - Grow your business - ProAppsTips.com
Personal Blog http://philiphodgetts.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:00:14 pm

I was surprised. It was pretty cool implementation. But if the sequences don't come with it that's too bad. One would have to export each sequence separately. I'll often have 4 projects in a library, each with 1-10 versions. So that'd be 40 separate exports. And hen I bring it all together in a single 7 project, I can't relink to the bin clips, just the clips on the drive, which makes media management tougher.

But it certainly has come a long way! Impressive.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:02:37 pm

What if you had a compound clip in the event? I could certainly turn projects into compound clips before export .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]