Importing Media FCP X 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Importing Media FCP X 10.1
on Feb 12, 2014 at 5:14:47 am

Hi,

I am running FCP X 10.1 with Mavericks.

I have a drive with old 5D H264 footage that I want to edit with. The footage is still in the original DCIM file structure.

I want to transcode that media into ProRes and have that new media live on another drive where my events live for editing.

I noticed that the Media Storage option doesn't allow me to leave the original H264 files in place. It only gives me the option to copy them.

It doesn't seem right that it is going to copy those files over, plus create transcoded versions on the new drive.

Is there a way to keep the original footage, which lives on my archive drive to just stay there?

Thanks,

Pete

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Importing Media FCP X 10.1
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:46:11 am

Take those Movs out of the DCIM folder. This way X will see them as footage and not as a connected camera.Then you should get the import options you need.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:32:30 pm

Ok that did work. Thanks so much.

Here is another question though. I transcoded media to my event library. However the files in my final cut project still link back to the old H264's.

If the program is going to transcode media to prores, and my plan is to cut with those files, why is it linking back to the old files?

It seems to me that I need to relink to those transcoded files? Shouldn't that just happen automatically?

Thanks,

Pete

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:30:12 pm

It will always use optimized (transcoded) over original if it has it. But reveal in finder will show the original. Also, inspector data displays the original. However at the bottom of the inspector is data on what flavors are available to the system. Optimized, proxy, original, etc. If theres an optimized available, and you're set to playback original / optimized, then it'll playback the optimized version. But there's not much point in giving data on that file, as they're all ProRes 422. And there's not much point in revealing it in the finder as they're all in the same place. At least that's X's thinking.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:13:34 pm

Thanks Bret,

So right now I can dismount the drive that I have the old H264 files and put that on my shelf and not have to relink?

Also,

I looked in preferences and I remember in old versions of FCPX you can set it to automatically playback optimized media. But I can't find it anymore. Do you know where it is?

Great help thank you.

Pete

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:32:19 pm

This is not a workflow that I use, so I don't know the proper method of dismounting. But why bother? I'd quit fcp, eject, and then relaunch FCP and see. If you've optimized all the files and they're not on that drive you're ejecting, should be fine in theory. But you don't want to get rid of those h264s. Those are your originals to relink back to. To recreate the optimized files from if need be. Those are the files you'd relink to if the optimized ones got wiped.

In 10.1 the playback prefs are in the drop down menu at the upper right of the viewer window now. Proxies, better performance, etc. You can also create keyboard shortcuts. It's pretty nifty to switch between proxy and optimized DURING playback. Buy this FCP X thing is just a toy, right? :)

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:42:59 pm

Hi Bret,

I tried it and it does work.

Yeah you are right on to not get rid of those H264's. However I am trying to figure out a reason to have them on the same drive that I have my transcoded media on, in the same event library. To me it takes up twice as much space, and if my editing hard drive fails, I lose everything. That to me is the purpose of keeping those old H264's on a separate drive right?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:50:43 pm

Call me crazy, but when footage come in, like from a DSLR, we bring it in on a USB 3 or FW800 drive, with a copy of the card structure that we (or the camera op) copied over on location. I then copy THAT folder of h264s to my Pegasus raid and import them. I don't transcode. Works great on my iMac. Those with MacPros may have different stories. But even if I did transcode, I'd keep everything in one nice little job folder. Hopefully the raid will do it's job in case of a drive failure, but with 10.1 the library is also being backed up to the internal drive every 20min via the new autosave. So with the originals on an external on a shelf, the raid, and the autosave I feel ok. But do sometimes backup the whole project folder to another drive if it's a long project.

If those are your only copy of the h264s, yeah, I'd dismount, make a couple copies, etc. During production we often have 3 copies of the original. If I have time, I'll copy to two drives at once from the card, and sometimes the internal on the laptop. Love those little USB 3 drives. So much faster than the FW800s.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:02:34 pm

Yeah that's the thing I need to get a raid system. That way I don't have to worry. How is yours? What model?

Thanks Bret for this help.

People crapped on FCPX for a while but the more I use it, the more I think it is pretty awesome in a lot of ways.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 9:06:56 pm

Pegasus R4 8TB. Gives you 6TB to work with. I had a problem with the chassis about a yer ago, and they sent me a replacement chassis. Gives you write and playback speeds in the high 300-high 400mb/sec range.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:06:06 pm

Cool. Thunderbolt?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:11:11 pm

Yes. But I'd get the pegasus2 now with thunderbolt 2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013099-REG/promise_technology_p2r4hd...

It's a whopping $100 more at $1450. I paid $1650 about 2 years ago.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:34:41 am

[Bret Williams] "Gives you write and playback speeds in the high 300-high 400mb/sec range."

Bret

That's really slow for that setup. 400mbps (that's megabits)

I would expect that read/write to nearly 2x faster and should be closer to 600MBps (megabytes)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 2:29:52 am

Excuse me for not reaching for the shift on my phone. You want 600, you'll need the R6. But I have seen upwards of 500 when the R4 wsas empty.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]