FORUMS: list search recent posts

selecting storyboard (or top clip in timeline)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
selecting storyboard (or top clip in timeline)
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:14:53 pm

For some projects I insert markers to be used as edit points. I also use storylines for b-roll. I NEED NEED NEED to be able to make an edit within that top most clip (or group of clips), move to the next marker (cntl+') and then edit to that point (opt+]). The problem is that once I move to the next marker FCPX automatically thinks I am trying to edit the primary storyline. Which means I have to move my mouse over the clip I want to edit and select it ("c"). Is this still not possible in 10.1.

In FCP7 you could choose which layer you wanted to add clips as well as which layer you wanted to edit, just by using keyboard shortcuts. Am I still missing something here. Is anyone having great succss keeping their hands on the keyboard?? I can't imagine how.

In the image below I just want to be able to select the top clip using the keyboard.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: selecting storyboard (or top clip in timeline)
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:52:23 pm

On 10.1, there's a little node on the playhead the automatically selects the top layer.

If you start and stop the timeline, the node should be available on your top clip (and clip should be loaded in the inspector). Then adding markers should happen to the top clip.

Unfortunately, you still can't select a layer with the keyboard alone.

Please send your feedback to Apple. It would be nice to be able to move the node to select the layer, Autodesk Smoke style.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:56:08 pm

I have noticed that, but it disappears if I go to the "next marker", in this instance all the markers are on the audio track. (10.1, not longer allows me to insert markers on grouped audio tracks!!!???). I will send them a comment.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:01:59 pm

[adam chesbrough] "I have noticed that, but it disappears if I go to the "next marker", in this instance all the markers are on the audio track. (10.1, not longer allows me to insert markers on grouped audio tracks!!!???). I will send them a comment."

FCPX simply goes to the next marker in time from the bottom up (if you have multiple layers with the same marker time), wherever that is, not the next marker in that layer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]