FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
Multicam workflow
on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:57:37 pm

We are shooting a lacrosse game with two cameras, one for wide angle and one for close in action, different camera operators from different locations. The goal will be a short report 5 minutes our of an hour+ game. The cameras will film many clips during action, which will generate about 50 clips per camera. What is the best way to import. On import each cameras clips can be named differently to avoid confusion. Should they go into the same event or two separate events. The cameras won't be time synched, audio synching will possibly work. The cameras will have roughly the same "clock time".
My first attempt at multicam so any tips will be appreciated.
Claude

Return to posts index

David Powell
Re: Multicam workflow
on Feb 9, 2014 at 1:14:18 am

Same Event. Make sure to give each camera a name in the inspector. If there isn't a constant audio to sync to, then I'd avoid hitting stop/start on the record or you'll be doing a lot of manual sync work.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:19:51 pm

I agree with David, that you are better off letting both cameras run for the entire game. You can use a slate, clap your hands (If the cameras are close enough that they will both catch the audio) or a camera flash as a sync point when you start the cameras rolling. I think it will be easier to go through the hour of footage then it will be to sort and sync the 50 clips. You can make log notes during the game when something good happens so you know right where to go when you start editing.

If you don't run the camera's the entire game make sure your timecode is in Free run or time of day mode. You can still use one of the above sync methods for the multi-cam set up.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Feb 9, 2014 at 5:25:30 pm

For a start - as a veteran of many multi cam shoots including sports, music performances, debates etc. I would say starting and stoping at will is a recipe for disaster - I can't think why you would want to do it as apart from anything else you are going to miss the action. But I'm sure you have your reasons.

Timecode of some description will save your life, and hours of time. There are a number of ways to do it if you don't have professional cameras with timecode input.

The simplest way is to film a clock when the cameras start rolling. You can download an app onto your iPhone called "Timecode Buddy" that will display timecode generated from the internal clock. If you have a timecode buddy wifi master, it sets up a wifi network and any phone with the app can read TC from the master - a quick shot of that at the start at least shows the offset.

The other option is use a timecode generator such as TC buddy or Lockit but feed it into an audio channel of the cameras - there is software that reads TC from the audio track. The other option is to use a radio mic TX and two RX's and feed the same audio (something like a song that lasts for the entire duration) and then use FCP X multicam to sync by audio. Crowd atmos probably won't work.

As for importing.. Import camera A into the event. Rename all camera A's clips and set a camera angle (1). Then apply a keyword such as logged to all the clips. Set the browser to show all clips without keywords. Import Camera B's clips to the same event, rename and label the angle. If you had more than one camera and were about to add more cameras you would now apply the keyword "logged" and repeat the process.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:48:10 pm

Another goofy idea that may just work...

The crowd noise may not be good for getting the clips to auto sync, but if you were able to feed the same audio source into one channel of each camera, such as a play by play announcer, or a radio station, you could sync a number of clips automatically.

Otherwise, I agree with keeping the clips long. Perhaps one per quarter

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:37:02 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the suggestion to do one quarter long clips might work fairly well. For these games, the camera men are often far apart since while one is filming from a high central position the second one may be down on the field. Maybe using multicam is over kill since unlike musician playing a song or a concert, the action is very much stop and go with many cuts where time is not truly conserved. In the end the goal is something like the short stories Sport Center puts together or even like the old NFL Films.

I am also thinking about using a primary and secondary story line.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:12:17 am

Claude

Ill confess I've never watched a lacrosse game in my life so have no idea of the play.

But I honestly think having both cameras rolling all the time (as you say a clip per quater) synced in a multicam will give you far more options than realise in the edit.

As someone who's sat there editing multicams where a camera has decided to stop rolling (for tape or battery changes) it can be really frustrating. Switch the angles on in the viewer and cut away on the primary storyline.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]