Issues Upgrading Events and Projects to 10.1 Libraries on Xsan
Now that we are mostly comfortable with Mavericks* (and we are anxious to use our new mac pros) we have upgraded some of the user base to OS 10.9.1 and FCPX 10.1.1.
Our 10.0.9 Final Cut "projects" (Events and Projects) are stored as either San Locations or sparse disk bundles on the san. We have begun upgrading those to Libraries one at a time as users need to access their current and old projects.
I tested several old san locations and sparse disk bundles before the upgrades and had no issues. Now that the users have been taught how to perform the upgrades, we are seeing a few issues pop up. The most pressing issue is that some media is offline after the upgrade. One project had all of it's media offline, but most of the time when we see the problem it's just a file or two. I can attempt to relink the media and it says that it was successful, but the image of the file stays as the "offline" image.
Has anyone encountered this? I seem to remember seeing a post reporting a similar issue, but I cannot find it here in the Techniques forum.
* two mavericks issues that users aren't comfortable with: quick look on the san isn't working all the time on QT files... users are moaning about the color tags on folders now being dots instead of the old lozenge.
Yes. I have seen this when updating old events and projects.
The media offline one can be tricky. Most of the time a full render files and thumbnail trash from the Finder will restore order (find the "Render files" folder in the library bundle (in every event folder) and trash all of it).
A lot of the media offline issues seem to come from the "saved" Events/Projects where the Library doesn't quite connect to the media that's in the old Events.
I think that it might be due to some of the files being managed instead of external, and FCPX gets confused. I usually move the move the media in the Finder to a more convenient location, and then drag the files back to FCPX to relink and recreate the symbolic link.
The other thing to look out for is that it's not media offline but rather a Motion Template. Media offline says "Media Offline" but the Motion template or filter has a picture with a hashed line drop zone looking icon.
[Keith Koby] " two mavericks issues that users aren't comfortable with: quick look on the san isn't working all the time on QT files... "
Yes, this is a pain the a$$. Third party codecs aren't allowed in Quicklook anymore.
[Keith Koby] "users are moaning about the color tags on folders now being dots instead of the old lozenge."
It's certainly a shift. I have been trying to embrace Tags, and so far, I like them OK. You run out of unique colors for Tags very quickly, so they are way less visual than Labels were. You can have duplicate colors (more than one Tag can have the same color) so you may be able to work that as an advantage as well. Switching form Labels to Tags can take a while, though, as sometimes you want the tag to be folder, or client, or project specific. Labels only labeled that local set of folders or files, but now, everywhere you had a red label on your system, it's going to show up as a Tag as Tags are system wide. It's a pretty huge difference in operation.
Figured out one relinking problem. Two of the video files had tildes in the file name... Seems link 10.1.1 and/or mavericks has a problem with symlinks with tildes.
So when fcpx upgraded the event and projects to Libraries those files might have been offline already. Second problem, the original was in a sparse disk bundle, so the upgraded library lands there... When we would attempt to copy the Library bundle over to the san "projects" folder, the copy would fail with an error -50 in the finder. From there we jumped over to terminal to copy the Library.bundle over with a cp -RP. The terminal copy gave us the error feedback that these two symlinks couldn't be copied.
We changed the file names in the finder to get rid of the accented letters. Then we went back to opening the original conversion which lives inside the sparse disk bundle, and relinked those two files to the renamed files. Then the Library.bundle could be copied to where we wanted it, no problem.