FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting H.264 Using High Quality Profile

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mullennix
Exporting H.264 Using High Quality Profile
on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:11:36 pm

I have the need to export some footage into the h.264 codec and need to do so in the High Quality profile. Apparently FCPX and Compressor don't have the option for the High Quality profile. I could export a master pro res file and then run it through another media encoder. So the question is there a high quality but inexpensive media encoder that offers the h.264 high quality profile?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Exporting H.264 Using High Quality Profile
on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:46:42 pm

Compressor 4.1 now offers High Quality profile and two different entropy settings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:18:58 pm

Thanks Jeremy! I'm not seeing the ability to upgrade from Compressor 4.0 to 4.1 in the Mac app store. Is this an issue where I need to upgrade to the new Mavericks operating system in order to get this upgrade?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:21:29 pm

[Bryan Mullennix] "Thanks Jeremy! I'm not seeing the ability to upgrade from Compressor 4.0 to 4.1 in the Mac app store. Is this an issue where I need to upgrade to the new Mavericks operating system in order to get this upgrade?"

Correct, sir. FCPX 10.1, Compressor 4.1, and Motion 5.1.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:54:59 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:48:18 am
Last Edited By Bernhard Grininger on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:52:01 am

Hello,

you should give HandBrake a try.

http://handbrake.fr

It is Open Source, reads all ProRes types, uses Lanczos for scaling,
does motion-compensated De-Interlacing ("slower" setting), has Noise-Filtering,
and codes with x264, the best H.264 encoder.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:07:10 pm

Handbrake is great. I use it a lot.

The only problem is that it's not plugged in right to FCPX, so you have to essentially export twice, once out of fcpx and once out of handbrake.

It is a pretty good encoder, though.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:03:35 pm
Last Edited By Bernhard Grininger on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:04:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The only problem is that it's not plugged in right to FCPX, so you have to essentially export twice, once out of fcpx and once out of handbrake.
"

Yes this is true. But as long as FCP-X consolidates everything to ProRes under the hood, the export at least is fast and causes no loss in quality.

I would really appreciate if Apple would integrate OpenCL accelerated x264 natively.
On the other hand, a ffmpeg-GUI like iffmpeg http://www.iffmpeg.com, but integrated directly into Compressor with some nice one-click presets for common tasks
(like rewrapping XDCamHD422 into MXF) would be really awesome!

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:10:24 pm

[Bernhard Grininger] "Yes this is true. But as long as FCP-X consolidates everything to ProRes under the hood, the export at least is fast and causes no loss in quality"

Yes, true. I just find it's rather annoying to have to manage all of those non-necessary files and waste the disk space. It would be fine if we could export reference files again.

[Bernhard Grininger] "I would really appreciate if Apple would integrate OpenCL accelerated x264 natively."

Intel's Quicksync on i7's actually does a pretty good job, but it is single pass only.

You can read about it here if you haven't already: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/First-Lo...

MXF4mac, ImEx Suite allows direct export of MXF out of FCPX using Compressor settings. It's not cheap, but if you need the functionality, it's well worth it.

http://hamburgpromedia.com/products/mxf4mac/MXF-Import-Export-Suite/MXF-Imp...

Being able to natively import MXF's is great too. I use it for Sony F55 footage and saves a ton of space (and time).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:09:08 am

[Jeremy Garchow] " It's not cheap"

That's the point. And FFmpeg is Open Source!

Nevertheless, an FCP-X interface-GUI making use of it
(means you would need to install FFmpeg separately yourself)
would be more than worth a fair shareware fee.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 1, 2014 at 7:16:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Handbrake is great. I use it a lot."

By this I guess you prefer it over MPEG StreamClip? No one in this thread has mentioned it as an alternative.

I recently had to stop using any Apple MP4 exporter like Compressor, QT 7, or direct FCP X exports because I had a user on my website that couldn't view my video on his newer Android device (last time I tested, my MP4s worked on all devices and all flavors). I typically use x264 over H.264, but neither variation worked for this guy. I then tried an x264 export from MPEG StreamClip (with fairly default settings) and it worked for him. I never did figure out the problem and I haven't had any complaints since this one fellow.

Back to Handbrake. I haven't used it in many years since up until now Compressor was main export app, but why Handbrake over MPEG StreamClip?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:28:12 pm

Handbrake is very easy, has great quality, and decent presets for iDevices. It also lets you dig in to the advanced controls if you need it.

I don't use streamclip for anything but converting Mpeg2 to ProRes. Nothing against it, I just find handbrake easier to make mp4/iDevice movies.

Although, Compressor 4.1 is really pretty good and it's easy to make different Compressor settings to use right out of X.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Feb 2, 2014 at 3:16:05 pm

Hello,

the simple reasons are x264's sovereigns quality and it's speed within HandBrake.

Streamclip uses quicktime components to encode H.264:
means it either uses the same component as Compressor;
or it uses the available x264 component which is (due to Quicktime) not
that speed-optimized as the x264 implementation in HandBrake.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:24:49 pm

[Bernhard Grininger] "Streamclip uses quicktime components to encode H.264:
means it either uses the same component as Compressor;
or it uses the available x264 component which is (due to Quicktime) not
that speed-optimized as the x264 implementation in HandBrake."

Good to know. I always considered it the the DVD ripping app. I'll download a newer version and give it a shot since it's been years evening opening it up. From what you said, it sounds like HandBrake ships with the x264 codec or did you need to download it?

Bernhard, any idea why that one user I had couldn't view my Apple encoded MP4s with his Android device, but could with the MPEG Streamclip encoding?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Feb 1, 2014 at 1:26:06 am

Thanks Bernhard for the suggestion of HandBrake, it did the trick! I compared the output between HandBrake and Compressor 4.1 and quality of HandBrake was far superior.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Feb 1, 2014 at 9:04:03 am

You're welcome! :-)

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Feb 2, 2014 at 1:01:06 am
Last Edited By james Lackleter on Feb 2, 2014 at 1:01:36 am

Has anyone found an affordable way to transcode ProRes 4444 to HEVC High at 4k, or h.264 high 4:4:4 at 4k?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]