FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best practices for backing up a project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Schoales
Best practices for backing up a project
on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:35:09 pm

So I know that FCP X 10.1 created a backup vault (similar to the autosave vault), which is awesome. I have that on my internal drive which is supposed to be backed up via time machine but currently isn't because my time machine drive at the office is dead (will replace that asap).

In my FCP 7 days at the end of the day I would take my FCP project file, create an archive (zip), and throw it into a dropbox folder that contained backups of all my projects. This ensured I had a versions, offsite backup. I would also copy the project file to our media RAID that was on the NAS. So now I had 3 copies of my projects should anything go horribly, terribly wrong.

So my question is, how do I go about doing a similar process with FCP X? Is it even possible?

To give an example of the specific project we're working on right now:

FCP 10 library was created (a managed library) on the NAS. That library was then copied to my internal RAID. I am now working on the project from there.

What I'd like to do is be able to backup my "project file" (in the FCP 7 sense, since projects are now what we used to call sequences) to dropbox, as well as back over to the NAS. I realize that because we're working in a managed project it might be a little trickier to backup to the original library created on the NAS (we're still trying to sort out the proper workflow here...) since everything there is managed, but maybe it's as simple as showing the package contents of the library and copying a few files over (I'd imagine that'd be the case since the media isn't changing and a timeline really is just metadata). Does this make sense?

I figured I could simply archive (zip) the most recent autosave backup from the backup folder and copy that to Dropbox and that'd be at least a good first step but I really want to sort out the best solution so that should my RAID fail (something that happens more often than we'd like it to) we're not completely SOL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]