FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does FCP X still need to wrap P2 MXF footage in .mov files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D. Scott Dobbie
Does FCP X still need to wrap P2 MXF footage in .mov files?
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:03:46 pm

I have a multi-cam project coming up that will yield just over 1TB of data on P2 cards.

I do not yet have FCP X, but I seem to recall that it no longer has to ingest the P2 footage to place a .mov wrapper around it. Since I want to avoid days of just "Log & Transfer," is that correct?

Yes - I know I can switch the show live for a rough cut, but I'd still want to clean it up, so I'd be back to the "L&T."

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Does FCP X still need to wrap P2 MXF footage in .mov files?
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:38:44 pm

Do you have the AVCCAM plugin loaded?

AVCCAM Plugin for QT 7

That allows you to work with the AVCHD files directly.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:52:08 pm

Tim...P2 cameras don't shoot AVCHD...they shoot DVCPRO HD and AVCIntra as MXF files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:15:24 pm

Argh - I typed AVCCAM and Apple's autocorrect grabbed AVCHD from my saved entries ...

Sorry - that's what I meant :/.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:21:00 pm

I Mentioned that because I needed it for some clips. I just realized that my other MXF files are being handled by MXF4Mac and MXFImport.

So, I guess the real answer to your question is yes, it still appears to need the wrapper.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:24:26 pm

That's too bad. Thank you, Tim and Shane.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 29, 2014 at 9:08:28 pm

I just loaded some p2 avc intra files yesterday into an fcpx project without optimizing media . My sense is that there is no rewrapping of files since the load in was really fast and I'm editing on a Mac mini .

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:48:07 am
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:49:19 am

And I just got an update to the Apple QT Codecs package that includes a new AVC Intra CODEC! So, maybe we're not limited to .MOV wrapped MXF after all...

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:02:48 am

So, you still used Log & Transfer? Except when you went to import the whole card (however many GB) it was pretty much instant? That would be great if I'm understanding you correctly.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:11:22 am

I used import media in fcpx . I selected clips or ranges of clips that I wanted to use , then import selected and brought the clips into the event browser. I wasn't bringing in whole cards. That said the process is pretty fast. Faster than fcp 7. Give it a shot .

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:38:17 am

Thanks. As mentioned in the beginning, I don't yet have FCP X. Trying to plan the best way to deal with a TB of footage from an upcoming project. This is giving me more encouragement, though.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:01:31 pm

I does rewrap P2/AVC-Intra. It's fast because unlike 7 you can start working right away while it does the rewrap in the background. You don't have to transcode/optimize, but you can. You won't have the option to "leave files in place" as it has to rewrap and place them either in the library or externally to another folder.

Return to posts index

D. Scott Dobbie
on Jan 30, 2014 at 5:52:00 pm

That explains a lot, Brett. The wrapping is fine (well, I'll still budget in an extra drive for the wrapped footage, as before), but at least I won't have all the down time.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:52:54 am

Currently, MXF4mac doesn't work with Op-Atom p2 files in FCPX (support is forthcoming), but I think Calibrated software makes a helper application that will allow to edit P2 files natively in FCPX saving a rewrap step.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

It costs money, but saves time and disk space.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:22:39 pm

I just finished a 22 hour virtual Battan Death March Edit at a big technical conference show at 5am this morning. (I try to keep my hand in as a working editor since theory is one thing, real field experience is something else!)

Client's P2 card reader into my laptop - used SCDI to make a SparseBundle of each card as they came in. Stored those on an external 2TB FW800 drive.

Since it was one of those edit tonight show tomorrow AM deals - I didn't bother transcoding to either ProRes or Proxy - just worked with the native files.

Was able to import and cut the shows on a 1280x1024 storyline without breaking much of a sweat.

Sometimes not having taken the time to do the ProRes versions made things a wee bit more "sluggish" than I'm used to with transcoded files, but overall the whole process was pretty painless.

Bottom line: Don't worry about it. X handles P2 card field just fine. I just checked and the files technically were MXF 1440x1080 at 29.970 AVC (Component) (High 10@L4.0 CABC) AVC-Intra 50)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]