FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage showing as missing, though it is definitely there...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Footage showing as missing, though it is definitely there...
on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:12:05 am

As you can see from the screenshot, the files all show up as missing, yet when looking in the inspector for the clip it shows that the Original Media and Proxy Media is available. Also, if I do a Reveal in Finder, it will take me right to the spot where the files are.

Not sure why I keep having so many media management issues.....

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Footage showing as missing, though it is definitely there...
on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:43:06 am

I tried to manually relink the files (annoying that I would have to do that, and do the step of dragging a link to the folder out of the Library) -- and the Relink dialogue just hung trying to relink the files. It didn't relink anything and it just sat there like this.

What in the world is going on with this. This is full day number 3 of not being able to work. This is outrageously ridiculous.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:27:07 am

[Dustin Bowser] "Also, if I do a Reveal in Finder, it will take me right to the spot where the files are."

And once you reveal the clip and double click that file in the finder to open it QT Player, does the file play normally?

I'll wait for your answer.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:38:35 am

Yeah it plays in Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43:15 am

Great.

Quit FCPX.

Find your library in the Finder.

Right click the library and choose "Show Package Contents".

Find the folder that corresponds to that Event "8-14-13 LA Brewing CO...ancing_EXTERNAL 01"

In that folder there's a "Render Files" folder.

Delete the two folders in there (Thumbnail Media and Peaks data).

Empty the trash.

Open FCPX and navigate to that event. Any change?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:12:16 am

Any luck?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:18:52 am
Last Edited By Dustin Bowser on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:19:51 am

Before you suggested this, I opened another Library, closed the one that was all offline, and then reopened it and it reconnected to things...

Do the render files in those folders tend to mess things up?

What I'm wondering is, why are things coming offline so easily? What is the mechanism that keeps getting confused to cause this?

Also, is there a clean and smooth way to get all of my files to point back to my big "Footage" folder that exists outside of my FCPX library, and have the Events themselves only contain the transcoded footage and the Proxies?

In reality, I don't even actually 'need' the original media in my project at all, because the Transcoded Prores is my High Res, and the Proxy is for editing. I just want to maintain the original H264 'negative' for the camera just for safety.

Perhaps things have changed, but i seem to remember trying this before, and even though the Transcoded media and the Proxy media was included, since the 'Original Media' was not included it still showed that things were offline.

That is what lead me to consolidating many of my events so that everything resided within it, because I was tired of trying to copy an event onto my laptop and be traveling and try to edit only to discover that tons of things were offline -- Though now I've got a ton of redundant data and things are a mess.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:36:18 am

[Dustin Bowser] "Do the render files in those folders tend to mess things up?"

They don't mess things up, but thumbnail media can become misguided. Sometimes you can trash them and FCPX will regenerate and get things fixed.

[Dustin Bowser] "What I'm wondering is, why are things coming offline so easily? What is the mechanism that keeps getting confused to cause this?"

I'm not sure, bud. It could be a number of things. I have been trying to help, but it's really hard to diagnose this sort of thing without seeing the problem first hand. It could be simple, it could be hard.

Do you use After Effects or Premiere at all with this footage?

[Dustin Bowser] "Also, is there a clean and smooth way to get all of my files to point back to my big "Footage" folder that exists outside of my FCPX library, and have the Events themselves only contain the transcoded footage and the Proxies?"

The only way to do this is to trash the original media in all the Events so that you are sure you are rid of it, and then reimport it with the "leave in place" option checked.

But you have to make sure something isn't corrupt first. I'd try this on a few files at a time to make sure it's going to work.

[Dustin Bowser] "In reality, I don't even actually 'need' the original media in my project at all, because the Transcoded Prores is my High Res, and the Proxy is for editing. I just want to maintain the original H264 'negative' for the camera just for safety."

I don't know why you'd need all of these copies. I would get a working copy of the original media first, and then perhaps use Proxies, but why use Proxies? h264 is a low data rate format anyway. When you have things more narrowed down, I'd then consider an Optimized transcode. But I'd make sure everything is working with original media, first.

[Dustin Bowser] "Perhaps things have changed, but i seem to remember trying this before, and even though the Transcoded media and the Proxy media was included, since the 'Original Media' was not included it still showed that things were offline."

You can use Optimized media without the Original media. Proxy media has to be used in Proxy playback mode.

[Dustin Bowser] "That is what lead me to consolidating many of my events so that everything resided within it, because I was tired of trying to copy an event onto my laptop and be traveling and try to edit only to discover that tons of things were offline -- Though now I've got a ton of redundant data and things are a mess."

It sounds like it. As I mentioned a few nights ago, I'd try editing with just your original media and see how it goes. You can always create optimized or Proxy media later. First, you have to make sure that everything is working first.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]