FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgraded system drive to SSD, now FCPX won't properly open Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Upgraded system drive to SSD, now FCPX won't properly open Library
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:17:47 am

I put an SSD in one of the other slots and did a fresh install of Mavericks and FCPX 10.1, and now my Library, which lives on another drive won't properly open.

At first when I tried to load it, it won't crash FCPX each time while loading. I went into the library and deleted the current version.Flexolibrary, and that allowed FCPX to open, but now I see that my files are offline, and when loading a project it hangs on the "Loading Project into Timeline" dialogue and just stays there. It doesn't let me into the project and I have to force quit.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Upgraded system drive to SSD, now FCPX won't properly open Library
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:35:57 am

Regarding the offline media -- When I attempt to relink files, in the Relink dialogue, I don't know how I'm supposed to connect back up to the media inside the Library. The Finder dialogue that comes up doesn't allow me to go inside the Library itself, so it just says it can't find the media, even thought I know it's in the there.

I also can't find in 10.1 where the "Modify Event Reference" dialogue is, which used to be in the Inspector in the Project View, so I can attempt that as well.

I'm excited to actually start editing one of these days, after the several days of wasted media management time...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:10:44 am

[Dustin Bowser] "The Finder dialogue that comes up doesn't allow me to go inside the Library itself, so it just says it can't find the media, even thought I know it's in the there."

Go into the Library package and make an Alias of your "Original Media" folder on the desktop or wherever. You should then be able to navigate to it in the relink dialog...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:26:40 am

What can I do to get past the "Loading Project into Timeline Dialogue"? I can't even get into my project.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:37:48 am

It seems that every project in this library is showing up with media offline, and just beach balls when I try to load it.

It' is many projects.

Is there any way to just have all of the databases rebuilt for the events and the projects that things will relink within the library. What's crazy is that all of the media is packaged up nicely in the library with it, so why I'm having this issue I don't understand..

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:16:02 am

Perhaps it's a permissions issue?

Can you drag a library from that drive to another?

Can you drag anything else to the Mavericks drive?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:19:43 am

The Library is 1.6 TB. I can drag files back and forth between the drives in the finder if that's what you mean.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:30:54 am

This whole project is a complete mess now, with certain things linked every which way. What would be the best way to completely start over, leaving the Events just as they are, but linking to the Original Media in a NOT managed FOOTAGE folder, and have the Optimized Media and Proxy Media inside the managed folder, and then have all of the projects relink freshly back to these events?

There are many events, and many projects, so I'm hoping there is a way to kind of do this in one foul swoop rather than project by project.

I'm just looking for a way to get freshly back to a place where I can work. I've wasted two whole days on this media management insanity, and with a quickly approaching deadline this is making me more frustrated with this program than ever.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:43:10 am

Also what's interesting, some of the clips that are offline, if I go to the info Tab in the inspector, it says that the Original, Optimized, and Proxy media are all available, and if I click the Reveal in Finder button, it will pull up the clip in the finder, but in FCPX it's giving me a red "Missing Files' Image, but it doesn't say Missing File or Missing Proxy, it's just the Red Image.

Also in case it's of relevance, a lot of the clips have CoreMelt Lock & Load applied to them. I've tried both having the plugin installed, and uninstalling it to see if that was the issue, but it isn't acting right either way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:50:41 am

Source footage format?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:44:04 am

[Dustin Bowser] "This whole project is a complete mess now, with certain things linked every which way. "

Meaning some things re linked others aren't?

[Dustin Bowser] "What would be the best way to completely start over, leaving the Events just as they are, but linking to the Original Media in a NOT managed FOOTAGE folder, and have the Optimized Media and Proxy Media inside the managed folder, and then have all of the projects relink freshly back to these events?"

First, Optimized and Proxy media are always in the Library. Why do you need Original, Optimized,AND Proxy?

Next, what is your source footage?

Was this project started in 10.1 or 10.0? Did everything work before the SSD upgrade?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:45:54 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Was this project started in 10.1 or 10.0? Did everything work before the SSD upgrade?"

Also, do you have a backup of the Library from before you did this:
[Dustin Bowser] "I went into the library and deleted the current version.Flexolibrary,"

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:54:12 am

I tried loading the library from the backup and it is doing all of the same things.

The project was started in 10.09, but have been using in 10.1 the past few days. Has been working, save for not being able to figure out how to relink things.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:51:38 am

I have 30 Events, all related to the same project -- each one is a shoot day of a feature, and needs to be kept separate as such, but all need to be available during the edit. Some of these events are consolidated all together, some refer to linked media.

Some projects have links to clips that came off of an External Drive, and they are retaining their links to the External drive, though the media is available within the Event on the Internal Drive and I can't get it to relink.

All I'm trying to do is have a copy of my project on a main Edit Bay, and a copy of some events on an External drive, and be able to swap the work of the logging in the Browser, and also editing and Selects in Projects to pass back and forth, but obviously have the Media that it's referencing is local to the machine it's a part of. In my attempt to do this, now I have duplicates of stuff here, and things referencing stuff there, and it's all just a giant mess thanks to FCPX's very confusing and frustrating media management and relinking system.

All of the footage is 5D. I need the original media because I need the raw files from the camera, I need Optimized media because H264s obviously don't play down well, so the ProRes Optimized files are my High Quality Media, and the Proxy media is for editing, because much of this is multi cam, so without proxies it's not possible to edit smoothly.

How can I clean this all up? This is such a mess and such a waste of time, so frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:56:29 am

[Dustin Bowser] "Some projects have links to clips that came off of an External Drive, and they are retaining their links to the External drive, though the media is available within the Event on the Internal Drive and I can't get it to relink."

OK.

Take ONE of those files. Just one. Reveal in Finder, and drag that piece of media and drop it on to the Event (basically a reimport).

What happens?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:03:11 am

I am talking from the internal drive, not the external.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:58:18 am

I've never used anything but the original 5D footage. On my 2011 and 2012 iMac it functions the same as ProRes. If you're on a MacPro I hear this May not be the case.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:24:06 am

The issue seems to be partially related to CoreMelt Lock & Load. Not sure what it was, but from having restarted and opening and closing the app a bunch of times, some things relinked, and I installed Lock & Load again and it took away the Red Missing Icon, which seemed to be related to a 'missing effect' warning, but now I'm back not being able to get into my project. as soon as I click in the timeline, the little Render Circle starts to spin grey, and then the whole thing Beachballs and I have to Force Quit..

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:28:09 am

Screenshots screenshots screenshots. Would have picked up on the missing effect thing right away. Common mistake. Not sure why it won't show the media who d the icon but you have to get the effect or turn it off in the inspector.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:31:15 am

Uninstall Effects and I can get in timeline, but with Missing Effect image. Install the effect and the image is back, but the Project Beachballs...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:32:02 am

Do you have the latest version of the effect?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:31:30 am

Screenshots do help a lot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:30:53 am

OK. Do you have anymore effects that you haven't installed or updated? Motion Templates/Effetcs?

Can you click on the circle to see what is happening in the background? Have you waited a minute to see if it catches up?

Is your media now "online"?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:34:35 am

Actually, plugin is uninstalled and Project still just Beachballed....So, have to force quit either way..

Is there any kind of "rebuild" project thing or anything?

Screenshot attached.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:39:17 am

Missing footage looks like this:

How long do you let it beach ball? Perhaps you should wait a little bit and let it catch up.

Do you have background rendering off?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:50:56 am

That's a LOT of events! Are they all for the same project, or is that all you FCP 10.0.9 events and projects bundled into 1 library? If so, when you updated to 10.1, did you opt to have X save backups of the projects and events in an old events / projects folder?

Did you use event manager X previously to manage all the events and projects? X performs better with fewer events mounted. Usually a library contains only the event for a particular project. But everyone works differently.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:54:26 am

It's all one project. Due to the nature of the Project, it's the easiest way to manage the locations of all the material.

I used Event Manager to update the project.

What I find to be strange is that this was all working before the SSD upgrade, but something about that freaked it all out. Not sure what, it's a fresh install of only the OS and FCPX.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:04:23 am

Seems like it would be the opposite. How do you organize media across events? For example, you wanted a collection of all the close- ups of Fred. You have shots of Fred in many different events. If you had 1 event, with a keyword collection for each shoot day, you could create a keyword collection for Fred close-ups. You could also create a folder to neatly tuck away all the shoot day keyword collections as the media gets organized by other more relevant data. Just my .02

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:27:33 am

Every shoot day is sort of its own encapsulated world. Put it this way. There is far too much media, separate system audio, multicam clips, etc to not break it up into respective worlds. For this project, this is the way to go. It's just the delinking that I'm having issue with.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:07:56 am

I'd let it beach ball for a while, see what happens.

If you open Activity Monitor, is FCPX doing anything, or does it say that it's "not responding'?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:07:41 pm

That's a huge amount of data for FC to change to new folder structure. Maybe you should let it spin away over night. And I'd revisit the permissions suggestion. Get info on both the media drive and the folder containing the huge event and make sure you have read write permission. You might also try disk warrior and disc utility check of media drive. Did you check individual clips within the library to see if they play in QT in the finder?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:50:24 pm

OK.. I'll risk looking silly and ask; Do you by chance have 'Proxies' selected in the upper right drop down in the Viewer? The same drop down where you can choose Scopes and the like?

Just covering the basics.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]