FORUMS: list search recent posts

Neat trick with Proxy's

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Neat trick with Proxy's
on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:18:34 pm

So here's something I just figured out...

1) Create a new Library on a small portable hard drive - in my case a GTECH RAID MINI

2) Import rushes as external media to a different drive (in my case a G Tech 4TB RAID)

3) Click on Generate Proxy when importing.

Main media goes to big drive - proxy to the small one.

4) Edit away with proxy media in your local coffee shop.

5) Come back home, copy project folder to big drive

6) Open up project from big drive and do all the big rendering.

Now that's nice!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Neat trick with Proxy's
on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:46:31 pm

Michael.

Cool.

This "Libraries are standalone, but may or not contain the original files" thing is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for the update.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:44:55 am
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:46:06 am

On the other hand, I just edited something where the camera files were about 33GB, but the optimized & render files were 85GB! (mostly optimized) So proxies first, optimized later.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2014 at 3:49:03 am

Optimized and proxies should be able to be consolidated out of the library just like original.

It would make the world a better place.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:42:06 am

Totally agree with you there Jeremy.

I can see what Apple are doing - they are trying to make it easy for non editors to use it. But sadly that goes against how some of us like to work.

I think Apple are listening and I really hope they go just that bit further with the next version.

Until then I think if you create optimised media after importing and creating proxies then it might just work.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:45:00 pm

[Michael Sanders] "I can see what Apple are doing - they are trying to make it easy for non editors to use it. But sadly that goes against how some of us like to work."

I have to admit, I don't like how Events work within Libraries. I do like Libraries in general, I just don't like how the media is compartmentalized within the Library. It doesn't make sense.

I had a feeling that Apple was going to somehow "package" Events and Projects, and sure enough that's exactly what Libraries did. What I didn't see coming was the Event structure living inside the Library.

I wish we could simply hide Events in the Browser and allow all the metadata capabilities of Events to happen at the library level. I don't really care what needs to happen in the Library package, just let me do what I want in the FCPX browser.

I'm not sure if this is Apple making it any easier for non-editors. Just like the original Event/Project structure was a lead up to Libraries, I think that we haven't seen the last of Apple changing the structure around in order to add more capability.

[Michael Sanders] "Until then I think if you create optimised media after importing and creating proxies then it might just work."

But every Library has to have their own set of Proxies and Optimized. So if I need to move Libraries from one machine to another, or one drive to another, or one person to another, it creates a LOT more copy time if I was able to simply point the Library at a duplicate set of media (like you can with original media).

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:05:37 pm

I agree. Since I use smart collections extensively, I don't see the advantage of having several events in one project as opposed to just using keyword collections. The best thing I've figured out is to make 2 events, one called media, and one called sequences. I love the libraries in principle, but it's still not quite there.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:23:03 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "On the other hand, I just edited something where the camera files were about 33GB, but the optimized & render files were 85GB! (mostly optimized) So proxies first, optimized later.
"

Bob,

IME, that happens quite a bit when you have something originally shot in a heavily compressed Long GOP type of format such as AVCHD and X transcodes it into ProRes so that ALL the frames become discrete for smoother editing.

If you're going to Share out to a variety of formats including larger raster options as well as smaller mobile friendly versions - having that available pool of ProRes is particularly important if you need to scale things UP as well as down.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:56:04 am
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:08:12 am

[Bill Davis] "If you're going to Share out to a variety of formats including larger raster options as well as smaller mobile friendly versions - having that available pool of ProRes is particularly important if you need to scale things UP as well as down."

Yup... I was suggesting that creating proxies, then editing, then creating transcodes would keep the Library size down until it was time to "finish".

OT, has anyone else noticed the Effects panel seem to load & search faster in 10.1.1? Still wish they'd give an option not to show the silly thumbnails... think that would be MUCH MUCH faster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]