FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to consolidate work done on Duplicate Events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Trying to consolidate work done on Duplicate Events
on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:37:42 pm

I have my Events duplicated on my main edit machine and on an external that I edit with my laptop. I did a bunch of logging work on my laptop, marking clips and making keyword collections and whatnot. I want to bring all of that work over to my main machine, but I don't want to move or copy any media, because it's already duplicated and there. What I tried doing was copying over the currentversion.fcpevent file and overwriting it on my main machine. That worked insofar as it brought over all of the logging work, but now all of the Media is saying "Missing File" and when I try select the files and do a Relink, it won't let me, because it's not registering them as missing in the Relink dialogue.

What is the cleanest/easiest way to shuffle this kind of work back and forth?

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Trying to consolidate work done on Duplicate Events
on Jan 25, 2014 at 10:07:23 pm

export event as xml did not work ?

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:18:56 am

Is your media external or managed in the libraries?

If managed, open the library on your external hard drive and consolidate the media out of the library (select the library in the Browser and choose File > Consolidate Library Files) and choose a destination. Then follow the next steps

If media is already external:

Mount the external drive on your main machine and open the library. Then open the library on your main machine.

Drag the Event(s) from the external library to the main machine library. It will ask if you want to include Proxy or optimized media. You probably don't. Quit FCPX and eject the external hard drive.

Open FCPX. If things are offline, relink the media on your main machine and then chose to Merge the Events (shift click the Events and chose File > Merge Events).

You can try this is a test first, or duplicate your Library so you have a backup in case something happens that you don't want to happen.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:33:28 am

It's not allowing me to relink files that are offline. When I select the files and choose Relink Media, no files show up in the list dialogue that pops up, and it doesn't give me the ability to click on anything. I know all the files are offline because in the viewer there is a big red Missing File image.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:38:24 am

and when I imported the Event XML, all of those files have the same "Missing Files" warning, and won't allow me to relink as well.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:59:08 pm

"and when I imported the Event XML, all of those files have the same "Missing Files" warning, and won't allow me to relink as well"

Thats a bug. It happened to me on one occassion too and I was not able to fix it. File was offline in Browser but didn't actually show up in the Relink dialog window at all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:06:53 am

Is your media external (outside of the library) or managed (inside of the library)?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:15:25 am

Both Events are managed, all of the media is inside the Folder Structure that FCPX builds. One is an exact duplicate of the event, on an external drive, just with "_EXTERAL" appended on the end of them name.

The work that I'm trying to export is from the "_EXTERNAL" event, and when imported into my "INTERNAL" drive, all of the media is missing. I've also trying choosing Consolidate Event, and it says all the media is there, there is no need to consolidate, but yet the files remain missing.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:16:50 am

I'm also just now trying to edit a Multicam Clip from my External Drive, onto a Sequence that is home on my Internal drive. I get a warning that says I'm editing between Libraries and it's going to copy the file. I say OK, and that clip says 'File Missing' in the browser, even though I just watched it, but it's playing back from my External Drive.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:30:55 am

What version of fcpx? Are you on Pre 10.1?

If so, my instructions won't work.

What is your source footage?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:59:01 am

I'm on 10.1

My source footage is 5D footage, with Optimized and Proxy media created.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:38:51 am

Is the original media managed as well?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:40:53 am

Yeah, everything needed for the Event is bundled up within the folder.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:50:05 am

I would consolidate the media out of your original Event.

This will allow you to relink the original media to the event from the _external.

Right now, you have both the internal and external event in the same library, is that correct?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:53:19 am
Last Edited By Dustin Bowser on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:54:01 am

I tried importing the "_External" event onto my 'internal' drive, to bring over the logging work, but that resulted in 'missing files' for everything, so right now I have 'missing files' on both the Internal and External versions of the Event in my Library on the internal drive. I have the event working on the External drive, but if I try to edit footage form that into my sequence, I get the same Missing Files thing in the timeline.

My questions is....what is the easiest way to be working on a Project on my Edit Bay machine, then be able to do work on a Laptop with an external drive and a duplicate version of the Library, and merge the work back together on the main Edit Machine. There is no way something so simple could be this much of a pain in the neck.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:58:05 am

[Dustin Bowser] "I tried importing the "_External" event onto my 'internal' drive,"

How did you do this exactly, in fcpx?

Dragging one Event in the external library, to the other internal library in the fcpx browser?

[Dustin Bowser] "My questions is....what is the easiest way to be working on a Project on my Edit Bay machine, then be able to do work on a Laptop with an external drive and a duplicate version of the Library, and merge the work back together on the main Edit Machine. There is no way something so simple could be this "

I use libraries, and relink to external media.

Can you send a screengrab of your browser?

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:05:48 am

I saved an Event XML of the "_EXTERNAL" Event, and tried to open it and point it to my Internal Library. It came in with all missing files.

The thing about sharing the Library is, the Project is actually huge, and many Events within the Library. I'm splitting off PER Event to work on sections on my laptop, hoping to then re-merge the work back into my master Project/Library.

I've still yet to figure out a smooth way to work this way..

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:12:17 am

You can make temp libraries with just the events you want to transfer.

I'd forego the XML and just use libraries/events.

Make a new temp library, copy events to it using fcpx browser.

Move temp library to internal, move events to main library using fcpx browser.

I typically use external media and it's easy to relink.

If your original library is not linked anymore, something went wrong.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:18:03 am

Yeah, I'd like to use External Media ideally, because all of my footage is also in a giant Folder called "Footage" that maintains the original folder structure off of the 5D.

I'd like to keep it separate, because there is something I don't trust about letting FCPX have every piece of the footage bundled up in it's little proprietary structure.
But because of this, I have my footage duplicated unnecessarily. I ended up using "Managed Media" after I was tired of being exasperated so many times when copying an Event over to my External Drive, being out and about and trying to pull it up only to see that many things are offline, audio and whatnot....so I just started having it copy over everything so that it would be bundled up.

Currently, my project is one giant mess of certain events managed, certain not, certain consolidated, etc.....

What would be the best way to clean this all up and get to some kind of simplified linking that opens up that wasted drive space, and is an easy way to work with a Main Machine and an edit laptop as a satellite helper with only parts of the project at any one time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2014 at 3:38:58 am

You can consolidate media out of any library at any time. This only pertains to original media. You can not consolidate Optimized or Proxy media.

If you are using multiple libraries, external media is much easier.

I can't see your libraries from here, so it's hard to help as I can't see your exact situation.

When you first import media to fcpx, it asks if you want to move the media in to the library, leave it in place, or put it in a place of your choosing. I would choose to either leave it in place (which means you will relink to the original 5D media) or put it somewhere of your choosing, which creates another copy of your media outside of the original card structure. This method is easiest, but creates a copy of your media.

Then you'd need to copy either the original card media or the folder of your choosing to the external drive.

Do your work. When you want to move back to the internal:

Connect the external drive to the main computer, drag the needed events from the external library to the main library using the fcpx browser, eject the external drive, and relink the media to the card structure, or wherever you put the media when you imported it.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:13:37 pm

If I have done editing of the footage in various "projects" (Sequences), and it relates to my INTERNAL Event, then when I drag in a duplicate copy from the EXTERNAL drive, is it not going to lose the link to the footage in the sequence, and give me a "Missing Event" warning?

Also, is there not a way to just replace a file and have the metadata update? I'd like to avoid having to make copies of these events each time I'm trying to merge them together. Doesn't that just risk a whole bunch of stuff constantly going offline and having to re-connect?

I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't more straightforward. I can't imagine someone who isn't actually computer savvy figuring this out at all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:26:14 am

[Dustin Bowser] "If I have done editing of the footage in various "projects" (Sequences), and it relates to my INTERNAL Event, then when I drag in a duplicate copy from the EXTERNAL drive, is it not going to lose the link to the footage in the sequence, and give me a "Missing Event" warning?"

I think we need to back up. There's a differences between swapping Libraries, Events, and Projects.

Before we go further, have you used FCP7 or any other NLE?

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 17, 2015 at 4:56:36 pm

I think it's as simple as importing the new event via XML and deleting the old one now that I look at things; not merging them at all.

The new exported XML (when imported) will have the old data and the newly updated date before import.

Problem solved...I think ;) At least that's what I am seeing at the moment.

Tangier

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/38561

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]