FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1 Lost Project Issue - can see project in folder but can't open.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Davies
FCPX 10.1 Lost Project Issue - can see project in folder but can't open.
on Jan 25, 2014 at 12:36:38 pm

Hi guys,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here please as working on a deadline :)

Running FCPX 10.1 - was working on a project > Mac crashed > restarted > project missing.

Open up 'reveal package contents' from the library and can see the folder for the lost project but can't see how to open it. Double clicking the 'current version' just opens up text editor.

Totally stumped!

As a side issue - has anyone else had the problem where you'll boot up and there won't be any projects or events visible? Or that happens and you re-boot - and they're visible again, but when you select a library nothing happens?

Seriously thinking of switching to Adobe haha!

Any help deeply appreciated - thanks!

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
Re: FCPX 10.1 Lost Project Issue - can see project in folder but can't open.
on Jan 25, 2014 at 1:15:48 pm

Just a work around here that I figured out myself. I'm sure someone will have something more sensible!

I opened up my back up from last night - when I did ALL the references had been broken to my clips in the time line.

However, I CMD-C'd the entire timeline, restarted FCPX, opened a new project, and then pasted them in.

It worked!

I still think I'm moving over to Adobe. There just seems to be loads of firefighting with FCPX. Ironically it's more stable - but who needs to be going through the drama of missing projects, event media going walkabout, not being able to load libraries, and the classic "can't restore the window layout" thing.

I swear that since Steve died, Apple have been losing the fight.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 25, 2014 at 2:24:35 pm

[Mark Davies] "I opened up my back up from last night - when I did ALL the references had been broken to my clips in the time line.

However, I CMD-C'd the entire timeline, restarted FCPX, opened a new project, and then pasted them in.

It worked!"

I had the same problem the other day, when due to a kernel panic my imac restarted. But when I opened the backup everything was there.

I did a quick test just now, opening a backup library from a library I had deleted. Since it couldn't find the original I had to save the backup to one of my drives and everything was offline. Then I simply relinked the files, didn't take much time at all. Just as I would have done in FCP7.

[Mark Davies] "I still think I'm moving over to Adobe. There just seems to be loads of firefighting with FCPX. Ironically it's more stable - but who needs to be going through the drama of missing projects, event media going walkabout, not being able to load libraries, and the classic "can't restore the window layout" thing."

I've been playing around with Premiere for a week now, and I like it very much, but I prefer the way FCPX handles effects. Roundtripping in Premiere with After FX is very nice, I hope the figure that out soon with FCPX and Motion for the more complicated matters. Or perhaps Adobe and Apple find common ground with FCPX XML.

Personally I haven't had almost any problems at all with FCPX since its realease, other than a few buggy things once in a while, and some missing features that to the most part have been solved already.

I would be careful to assume you won't have to do firefighting with Premiere. Relink issues and missing projects could happen as well. And longer projects can become a problem for Premiere, I've heard. And the experiences I've had with FCP7 lately on 12core macs in a shared storage environment were kind of annoying. Crash, half my footage offline, relink manually, and that 4 times during the session... and that annoyance of having to repair corrupted projects on a regular basis.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Ryszard Krakowski
on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:45:49 pm

Hello,

I had a similar issue... i had to force quit FCPX and when i restarted none of my Projects were available in the Library I was working from.

In Finder i went to the library and compared the file structure to other folders and found I an extra file called 'CurrentVersion.fcpevent-journal' along with the usual 'CurrentVersion.fcpevent' file.

SO I just deleted the 'CurrentVersion.fcpevent-journal' file and suddenly all my projects reappeared in FCPX browser.

I hope this helps someone.

Return to posts index

Kevin Norberg
on May 22, 2014 at 5:03:40 pm

This worked for me! I had a project go missing from an event. Completely gone from within FCPX (10.1). There was also a bright yellow alert triangle with the dreaded exclamation point attached to the event.

Nothing I did brought back my missing project. UNTIL I dragged the 'CurrentVersion.fcpevent-journal' file to the trash. Voila! My project reappeared.

Weirdness. Apple needs to address this issue, or at least alert FCPX owners of its existence.

So happy I found your suggested fix. Saved me 5 hours of having to recreate a 75-minute video in a new project timeline!!!!

Thanks bunches.

—Kevin Norberg
"May the Farce be with you."

Return to posts index

Griffin Dunn
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:04:07 am

Hello! I'm sorry to bring up such an
Old conversation. I am having this same problem on FCPX, 10.1.2. I deleted the fcpevent-journal file and I could see my old project that I was trying to find in FCPX, but whenever I open the event, the app crashes. Where can I go from here? I'm trying to restore a wedding ceremony edit ASAP.

Return to posts index

Octavio Gasca
on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:44:24 pm

Hello, this an old but still very helpfull conversation.
Yes delete the "journal"file and the event comes back.
For me was the very final event for a feature movie, after 3 1/2 years of work... THANK YOU PEOPLE!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 25, 2014 at 1:19:51 pm

You have a compound clips inside your event with the name of the project, right? as far as i can tell that means the current event you are working with got screwed up. All you need too do is to open the backup library in the Final Cut Backups folder located inside the movies folder in your system drive.

Return to posts index

Mark Davies
on Jan 25, 2014 at 2:12:44 pm

Thanks for replying Nikolas!

Didn't have any compound clips in there - but as you suggested the back up library did work to a point.

Unfortunately all the references were broken (have no idea why!) - so I had to cut and past the edit in the project, and then put it into a new project after firing up FCPX.

Did the job so I'm happy haha :0)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 25, 2014 at 8:41:09 pm

The backup projects shouldn't be accessed directly, but by the restore function. I think that's what it's called.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:30:27 pm
Last Edited By Nikolas Bäurle on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:11:47 pm

[Bret Williams] "The backup projects shouldn't be accessed directly, but by the restore function. I think that's what it's called."

I don't see why it should be a problem to access it directly. Its simply a copy of your master library. If you have a screwed up library and restore from backup it doesn't fix it but simply opens the backup. If you double click the backup in the backups folder you get the same result. Of course, it is faster to do it from within X. But, what's interesting, you don't have to go through "open from backup...", you can click on "other..." navigate to the backup folder and open your backup like any library. Same result in the end.

Today I deleted a library to see what would happen with the backup. When you open the backup X can't find the original library so it asks you to choose a new location, then you give the backup a new name and save it, an offline library opens, in this case relinking is necessary. Whether you do this from within X or open the backup folder doesn't make a difference.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:26:53 pm

Ah probably so. The interesting thing about these backups, are they're the only libraries that point aliases to other libraries. Theres no media in them, even if they're backups of an internally managed library. Just the most basic data. But the minute you restore one, it rectifies that. If the media was internally managed, then the instant you open a backup, it begins copying ALL the media to the backup. And if it was externally managed, it instantly changes the links to the external media, instead of to the library it was backing up. IOW the instant you open one, it has to follow the rules. It will also save it without asking, right next to the library it is backing up.

So you could eat up a hard drive poking around in the backups looking for a version or something. Every time you open one it could eat up a LOT of hard drive space if it's internally managed.

Yet another argument for external media. Kinda like every other NLE including legacy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]