FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping Confusion in Inspector

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Cropping Confusion in Inspector
on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:51:13 am

Can anybody explain why when I edit with my project setting set as the PAL SD Anamorphic preset in FCPX (720x576 footage that displays as 1024x576) the cropping tools in the inspector says I have 576x2 pixels so 1152. I'm baffled?

When I set it to trim in the inspector I have several sliders left right top bottom

I can crop 576 pixels from the left taking it to the middle and 576 from the right. Where do these numbers come from?

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

Please see http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/27264#27293 for more info

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Cropping Confusion in Inspector
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:48:32 pm

[James Bayliss-Smith] "I can crop 576 pixels from the left taking it to the middle and 576 from the right. Where do these numbers come from?"

It goes further than half way.

Oddly half way seems to be 525 px sp it still doesn't make sense.

Seems kinda buggy.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:29:21 am
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:38:34 am

I'm replying to this thread because I just encountered this. The 576 number comes from the vertical. For some reason X is using the vertical of the frame as the allowable horizontal crop limits. Obviously the horizontal should be permitted to crop all the way across the frame from left or right. The vertical crop limit is the same as the horizontal. Check it out in a 1080p project. The horizontal crop is only allowed to be .... 1080. Yes, some engineering moron made a typo and is parsing the vertical for both the horizontal and vertical crop limits.

What's worse, is I discovered that in going from 7 to X via XML and 7toX, the crop value is actually given via XML as a percentage. Which makes sense because you don't always know what the frame size is. So all the horizontal crops from 7 come out too wide, because X is doing the math as a percentage of 1080 instead of 1920. Genius.

I had created a mosaic of lots of pics, each in it's own nest and the nest then cropped. 40 nests on the screen at a time. I thought I'd bring it into X to see if it would render faster since 7 was going to take 3 hours for 3 minutes. It would've been perfect if not for this horizontal crop bug. The good thing is I had about 200 compounds in a single sequence and X handled it no problem. Of course in 7 I could barely scrub or move an image without waiting. 40 layers of stills in compound clips and it plays back in full 1080p rez without dropping a frame.

It must be a recent bug, because I often crop text on left to right to reveal a word or bullet point. Pretty sure I was doing that with some bullet points in October/November. Can anyone check 10.0.9 to see if this bug was there? On a 1080p project, one should be able to crop (trim mode) the full frame of 1920 pixels either left or right and not be limited to 1080.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jan 23, 2014 at 8:02:26 pm

James.

A few questions ...

Are you using an Anamorphic Override setting for your clips?

And what Resolution are you using in the Project Settings:

I'm not suggesting these settings are what you should be using. I want to match how you are set up so I can take a look at this as well ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]