FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for backing up events?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Davies
Suggestions for backing up events?
on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:48:03 pm

We are using a library for each client and that Library, over time, will typically contain as many as 10 fairly large events (ave of 30GB per event).

When we first set up a library for a client, and import one event, and create a project, we can copy the entire library structure to another external hard drive - which takes about 30mins. But when we then import a second event and want to back that up, we have to back up the entire library again (which now contains 2 events and takes 60mins). As we add more events the time to back up is just getting really impractical.

We've tried showing package contents, copying just the event, and then pasting into the library structure already on the back up drive, but FC doesn't seem to recognize it.

Any suggestions that will allow us to back up one event at a time?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
Re: Suggestions for backing up events?
on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:43:43 pm

If you are using 10.1 there's a new preference to backup to a location of your choosing. This backs up each library as a whole - you don't need to back up each event.

If you consolidate the media to outside the library folder then the file doesn't get as massive.

FWIW I now create a folder on my HD for each project, and then create two subfolders: Rushes and Added Media.

Rushes go in there and are backed up separately to blu ray. Everything else, graphics, music etc all goes in Added Media. FCP X 10.1 does its internal backups up to a folder on my machines internal HD - which is in turn backed up via time machine.

Then when I come to archiving, I just delete the rushes, run the project through X wiper to delete render files (Please apple they can live elsewhere!) and then put the project file and added media folder on an optical disc.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]