FORUMS: list search recent posts

Instagram Compressor Preset

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Instagram Compressor Preset
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:50:50 am

Hi I'm trying to make a compressor preset for a square video 640 x 640 to go on instagram. I want to crop a 16:9 SD video so I have set up compressor to export square pixels and that frame size as final out put. My source is SD 720 x 576 anamorphic. I decided that in compressor I would crop 72 pixels of the left and the right. This is because 720 - 576 / 2 = 72 so 72 pixels off each side then made square should produce a crop with the correct aspect ratio. It doesn't seem to work the final image is squashed. Where am I going wrong in my calculations?

Also to add to my confusion while looking around FCP X I discovered that if I crop from left or right inside the inspector I can crop from the left or right 576 pixels using the slider, this seems like FCPX is reading 1152 pixels of 720x576 source footage. Surely I should be able to crop 360 from each side and no more with a horizontal resolution image of 720? I'm baffled please help

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Instagram Compressor Preset
on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:15:39 am

I don't have a direct answer for you but it seems to me you are misunderstanding the size of your source footage. Possibly "720x576 Anamorphic" describes footage that BECOMES 720 on the horizontal when it is stretched (displayed) from its anamorphic state. Final Cut is treating it AS IT IS DISPLAYED, not as its squeezed (narrow) source. After all, an anamorphic video is squeezed horizontally and is expanded only when displayed. Open that source in something like Quicktime 7 and do a Get Info to find its true size. Once you have its true size then the numbers may make sense.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:46:28 pm

I don't have a direct answer, but in FCPX 10.1 you can choose any resolution you want, so maybe it would be easier to work with projects set to 640x640?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:00:30 am

[Don Smith] "Possibly "720x576 Anamorphic" describes footage that BECOMES 720 on the horizontal when it is stretched (displayed) from its anamorphic state"

720 x 576 PAL anamorphis SD footage becomes 1024 when displayed. In FCPX my project settings are PA: SD Anamorphic. When using the inspector FCPX seems to thing I have a horizontal resolution of 2x576 so 1152. I'm baffled.

[Loren Risker] "you can choose any resolution you want, so maybe it would be easier to work with projects set to 640x640?"

Sure but I edit news and I'd like to be able just to export using a compressor preset rather than creating a new project. It must be possible to do this I just need to work out how much to crop in compressor from the left and right but my logical calculations have given me squashed results

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 12, 2014 at 7:39:56 am

I'm replying to this thread because I just encountered this. The 576 number comes from the vertical. For some reason X is using the vertical of the frame as the allowable horizontal crop limits. Obviously the horizontal should be permitted to crop all the way across the frame from left or right. The vertical crop limit is the same as the horizontal. Check it out in a 1080p project. The horizontal crop is only allowed to be .... 1080. Yes, some engineering moron made a typo and is parsing the vertical for both the horizontal and vertical crop limits.

What's worse, is I discovered that in going from 7 to X via XML and 7toX, the crop value is actually given via XML as a percentage. Which makes sense because you don't always know what the frame size is. So all the horizontal crops from 7 come out too wide, because X is doing the math as a percentage of 1080 instead of 1920. Genius.

I had created a mosaic of lots of pics, each in it's own nest and the nest then cropped. 40 nests on the screen at a time. I thought I'd bring it into X to see if it would render faster since 7 was going to take 3 hours for 3 minutes. It would've been perfect if not for this horizontal crop bug. The good thing is I had about 200 compounds in a single sequence and X handled it no problem. Of course in 7 I could barely scrub or move an image without waiting. 40 layers of stills in compound clips and it plays back in full 1080p rez without dropping a frame.

It must be a recent bug, because I often crop text on left to right to reveal a word or bullet point. Pretty sure I was doing that with some bullet points in October/November. Can anyone check 10.0.9 to see if this bug was there? On a 1080p project, one should be able to crop (trim mode) the full frame of 1920 pixels either left or right and not be limited to 1080.

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:10:50 am

This is what I do (i read somewhere on the internet) open Motion, make a 1000x1000 project, then make sure it's set to "square", set length for 15 secs, then export it from motion, import it into a final cut click "open in timeline" and walaa, your video is now a perfect instagram size, here is an example from our instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/lGg64GDM-J/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]