FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow - Finder smart search for FCP Libraries (without backup bundles) - How?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Workflow - Finder smart search for FCP Libraries (without backup bundles) - How?
on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:18:53 am

Folks Initially I setup a folder on each of my four Mac Pro internal drives called "FCP Projects" where I'd neatly keep FCP X libraries. Realizing I could just use a smart search for the entire computer sorted by most recent to get access to my FCP X libraries (essentially my projects) I ran into the issue of not being able to exclude portions of filenames.

I am trying to create a smart search for Final Cut Pro X bundles (.fcpbundle). I already created an extension criteria for the search, but I need to be able to also search for filenames that do not contain"_PST" because these are the Final Cut Pro backup files I don't want to include in the search, yet they have the same extension as any other FCP library bundle.

I just want to be able to excludes charactes in a filename.

There is no "does not contain" criteria for filename searching.

Any ideas folks.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Workflow - Finder smart search for FCP Libraries (without backup bundles) - How?
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:26:18 am
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:27:14 am

When you create a smart folder / spotlight search you can hold down the ,alt. key as you click on the little round plus (+) button to add a new criteria - which then adds a new section that lets you specify things to exclude. Not explained well but try it and you'll get the idea.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Workflow - Finder smart search for FCP Libraries (without backup bundles) - How?
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:11:42 am

You can also use Tags.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:06:11 pm

Took me a minute to figure out why you meant, but I got it. I had to hit the ALT key as you suggest and choose "none" then choose NAME-CONTAINS "_PST".

That's a cool trick. There's so many little hidden tricks like that on the Mac - like holding option for the audio menu bar or option to show inspector (after right clicking) rather than get info.

Very cool. Thanks for the solution.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:36:22 pm

I'm a fan of Smart Whatevers, have used a few in Finder sidebar for a while, but this was a really nice heads up! Now I can see all Libraries (sans backups) in one place for easy opening. schweet.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:36:15 pm

Hi Tangier -

Have you looked at NeoFinder? It's quite the amazing little addition to your file management toolbox:

NeoFinder

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 21, 2014 at 10:17:18 pm

Yep! It doesn't solve my problem, but I've been using NeoFinder for years in conjunction with FileMaker - since it was called CDFinder.

T

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]