FORUMS: list search recent posts

fastest way to output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Peck
fastest way to output
on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:47:47 pm

I'm working on a project in Final Cut X and I need to output a large number for files in a lower resolution format for the client to review. I'm trying to figure out a way to speed up the process if possible. Would working in proxy help. Any other tricks? I was converting to Mp4. I could do another mac friendly format if that would help.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: fastest way to output
on Jan 18, 2014 at 9:35:49 pm

Why not simply batch convert the files to a desired format using Compressor, Squeeze, Episode, Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip, etc.? No reason to use FCP X to do this. You could generate proxies with FCP X, but these are half-sized ProRes Proxy files, not .mp4.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jan 18, 2014 at 9:58:41 pm

Hi Oliver,

I have to use FCP X because I'm exporting edited timelines. The client is reviewing the files on a mac so I could use any mac friendly format.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:05:05 pm

[Tony Peck] "I have to use FCP X because I'm exporting edited timelines."

I see. Well, you can export multiple timelines via the Share menu. You just have to do set up the export one at a time and they will run in the background. Or, send them to Compressor and let it run. Not as easy as FCP 7's batch export, but works more or less the same way after it starts running.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:13:53 pm

I've been using the share feature and it works fine. Its just slow and I have a lot of long timelines. I hoping there is a trick out there to speed it up. All the timelines are in prores proxy. I was thinking if I exported to prores it might be less transcoding and would speed up the process.

Can any mac playback prores files?

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:28:11 pm

[Tony Peck] "Its just slow and I have a lot of long timelines"

It will be slower if you are exporting any long-GOP codecs, like H264. It will also be slower if you have unrendered effects.

[Tony Peck] "Can any mac playback prores files?"

Depends on variables of what's installed and the OS and the QT version they are running. They might have to download the codec pack for QT to play the files if they don't have any Pro Apps applications installed.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:31:58 pm

I looks like I have been using H.264. What would be a better option?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:45:29 pm

H.264 will be universal for your clients. PR Proxy might be faster. You'll just have to test it out.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 19, 2014 at 12:43:54 am

Use compressor to set up a simple h264 export setting that you can use in X. I've been exporting 90 second timelines (pro res) as h264 1280x720 h264 and it's about 4 x real time. Maybe faster. Literally 10 - 20 sec. I just setup as single pass, 75% quality, auto keyframes, AAC 48khz stereo. There's not much point in doing multiple pass VBR for a client approval. The quality difference is negligible for most things. And don't try to do the math and setup a data rate. That's kinda pointless most of the time, as the data rate is directly related to the frame rate and the frame dimensions. Using the quality slider gives you the same result without respect to the frame size or frame rate.

If you use apples built in settings it will be slower and bigger files, as they're thinking of every export as a high quality final output master.

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Jan 19, 2014 at 1:41:19 am

Thanks Bret!!!! That made a huge difference.

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Jan 19, 2014 at 4:44:09 pm

lower bit rate, resolution, and profile (main opposed to high) will all speed it up. Do not change the name of your files if you are cutting with proxies okay, or your cut will be useless when you try to export xml.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08:48 am

Great Post, Thanks Bret. I'm not the op but run into these requests often.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]