FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I do this in X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
How do I do this in X
on Jan 18, 2014 at 9:31:58 am

In legacy you could mark an in and out point on the time line, position the play head in the timeline and then place the play head at a point in the clip. FCP would then work out the in and out points of the source so the frame where the play head was would be play head was in the timeline. It was really useful for putting a piece if action in time to a beat of music or something.

I can't for the life of me work out how to do this in X.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How do I do this in X
on Jan 18, 2014 at 2:24:50 pm

Please request this to Apple.

It is a feature I miss a lot.

In X you have to slip things in to place and there's is no playhead replace, just replace from beginning or end (back timed).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:18:37 pm

If you're talking about the Replace edit, then X doesn't do it the same way. In fact, in legacy, you don't even need to mark any INs and OUTs. A standard replace edit uses the clip boundaries and the source/timeline playheads.

In X, you do a Replace from Start or End to get the replaced clip in the timeline at the length of the original, then grab the Trim tool (T) and slip the clip to the proper point. It's an imperfect solution.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:59:15 pm

FWIW, which is nothing... buried in a couple places within the FCP X package (I'm a nerd) are these gems:

Replace At Playhead

ReplaceWithSelectedMediaAtPlayhead

Replace the selected Sequence clip with the selected Organizer clip aligned to their Playhead locations

Organizer being the ancient term for browser... So, it's in there, but hasn't been implemented for some reason or other. Keep bugging Apple, I have been!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2014 at 7:07:24 pm

Wonderful news, Charlie. Thanks so much.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 18, 2014 at 7:17:29 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Wonderful news, Charlie. Thanks so much."

The bad news, evidenced by the use of the terms "sequence" and "organizer" in the command description, is that it's been in there for quite a while. My wild, uninformed guess is that it wash't implemented because projects and source media were in different places. ?? I know they didn't just forget about it. :-)

Hopefully the fact that projects and events at least exist in the same container now will make turning this command on possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]