FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Lawrence
Frame Rate
on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:06:17 am

Just a little question about frame rates..
If I film 1080p HD footage at 60fps should I edit in 60 fps...?
Can you edit 60fps footage at 30fps and not loose any quality the same way you edit 720p HD 120 fps at 30 fps in FCPX..
The reason I ask is because I'm
Not sure my iMac core i3 will handle the file size..
I've exported a couple of movies at 30 fps and 60fps to test the quality and the 60fps looks slightly better..

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Frame Rate
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:19:22 pm

I'd love to see more stuff playback at 60fps, but unfortunately it's not that easy to find players that handle it as everything is built for 24/25/30.

If you start with 60fps and want to finish in 30fps you're going to have to drop frames or slow down the playback. So you will lose some quality.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Anthony Lawrence
on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:23:40 am

I'm just learning the whole edit thing.. I thought you had to edit what you shot in, but I'm learning it's not the case..
I just edit at 29.97 now.. I've found no difference in quality if I edit in 60 or 30 fps.
I just save all my footage as a master file and play it back on the PC rather than burn it..

Out of curiosity what's the difference with the frame rate you edit in as opposed to what you capture in..?
So I understand..

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:51:26 am

The main reason to shoot at higher framerates is to get smooth looking slow motion by playing it back at 24/30fps.

To keep real time, 60fps footage either needs to be played back at 60fps or drop half the frames to play at 30fps.

People usually prefer to shoot at the framerate they want to edit in unless they want slow motion.

I personally like the look of 60fps played back at 60fps, I hear James Cameron is experimenting with that.

Peter Jackson used 48 fps for The Hobbit.

But if you want to maximize compatibility, you should edit in 24 or 30fps, which means it's usually a better choice to shoot in either 24 or 30fps.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Anthony Lawrence
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:24:52 am

Thanks for that, I'm no professional I just like to tinker as a hobby.. I just want to get the best out of the footage I shoot.. I plan on filming my holiday to the South Pacific in feb with my gopro black plus mainly in 30fps and some footage in 60fps which I want to slow down. So there will be no quality difference between 60 fps and 30fps footage if not slowed down..?
Thanks again..!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]