FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening Old Project Post 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Opening Old Project Post 10.1
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:11:08 pm

Updated to 10.1 - but need to access this collection of project files (see photo) created in June.

10.1 refuses to see the file.

Why won't 10.1 see it? Why wasn't I asked to update it when I originally launched the new version? These files are located in the Old FCP Projects and Events Folder - so I'm really confused as to how they got there and how it is possible I cannot use them.

I have a friend who has an older version of FCP and will open these files and export the video and ship it back to me.

Any solution other than shipping a hard drive to someone who has an older version of FCP?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Opening Old Project Post 10.1
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:03:13 pm

Those projects were put there as a backup when you upgraded. The original was converted into a library and should be wherever you saved your new library or libraries when you upgraded. If you can't find the upgraded library, you can do it again. Just quit FCP and put those old projects and events back into the FCP projects and FCP events folders at the root of the drive like the old days. Then launch FCP and use the update projects and events command. I think it's under file. This was the process recommended by many experts the day of the update. Mount the projects and events that go together. Launch FCP. Update them to a library (which is like a legacy project). Quit X. Repeat.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:22:13 pm

I moved the file into a FCP Events and then Projects folder and then tried the "locate" feature and both times everything was grayed out, although I could twirl open the folders. When I clicked update - FCP said there were no events or projects to update.

Like I said - the original file was created in June, not this past week when I updated FCP.

I believe I have no choice but to ship this to someone with an older version.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Rich

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:00:50 pm

Ok. The screenshot is one singular project. Is this on an external or your boot drive? If external, you need to put it in a folder at the root level called "Final Cut Projects" But the media must exist in an event somewhere. The event that it is linked to must be placed in a folder called Final Cut Events at your root. Not FCP Events or FCP Projects. I was just paraphrasing, assuming you knew the correct nomenclature.

If it exists instead on your boot drive, these folders go in your user folder in the movies folder.

There is absolutely no need to send files to someone with an older version. You can update projects as you go.

But the mere fact that they are in a folder called OLD Projects is evidence that when you updated to 10.1, these projects were available to the system and were updated. Projects are placed in the "Old" folders when they are updated, but you ask to keep a backup. So the Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folder are renamed "old" while updated copies are placed into a big library on the hard drive with a default title that contains the name of the hard drive they're on.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:10:26 pm

Got it - thank you!

I knew you were paraphrasing -

'll report back soon.

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:16:00 pm

Did not work.

Rich

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:41:41 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:42:57 pm

nevermind, the lovely forum didn't show all the replies 'til I posted...
-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:03:19 am

Thanks - I will check it out. Trying to make headway on an edit right now -

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Jan 18, 2014 at 8:12:54 pm

Thanks to a phone call to Apple, I was able to open the "files" and discovered they did not contain the original media. When I archived the project last summer, I thought I selected the right option and that the project and its events moved to a storage device.

I cannot go back in time and figure out what I did wrong. I f__ked up - but somehow I can't stop feeling like maybe the FCP project/event "move" process was not as intuitive as it appeared when I selected the option.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]