FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trick library at the Finder level like 10.0.9 events - no go.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Trick library at the Finder level like 10.0.9 events - no go.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:10:30 pm

One of things I never like about FCP X is how slow it was to manage media compared to the Finder, for certain tasks at least. So I had learned to manipulate events and projects by "occasionally moving files around in the Finder in the Event and Projects folder. Well that didn't work. It doesn't seem like this version is "always watching" library contents in the way pervious versions did for the event folder.

After the update to 10.1 I had a library that was essentially the name of my drive with all of the events and projects I had from the previous version of FCP X.

My intent: A faster way to make a project-based library from a 10.1 library event.

My method: Create new project library in FCP 10.1 and move not copy event from library structure of 10.0.9 to 10.1 update into new library.

How: Quit FCP 10.1 then use "show package contents" to remove the appropriate event folders from current library and copy to package contents of the new Finder-level project library I created in FCP X. Next I deleted the original event.

Result: Restarting FCP 10.1 the new project library had nothing in it. The original had the name of the event, but no content. No Go!

I quit FCP 10.1 and put things back together by simply copying the event out of the new project library back to it's original package contents location, then delete the copy in the new project library. I restarted FCP X and all was as it was from the start and still in working order.

Lesson: I can't play in the Finder like I used to for the benefit of the speed of using the Finder instead of FCP X. This is one of those things I don't like about the library model of some of Apple's apps, but I can live with it and recognize it's benefits too. So far it seems I am bound to doing everything involving media management inside FCP 10.1 which I had hoped not too. Though I had been warned of my Finder methods in 10.0.9 and previous versions, I never had any problems with FCP X; the app acknowledged my Finder level changes.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Trick library at the Finder level like 10.0.9 events - no go.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:27:20 pm
Last Edited By Nikolas Bäurle on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:31:09 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "After the update to 10.1 I had a library that was essentially the name of my drive with all of the events and projects I had from the previous version of FCP X. "

That's normal. You can hide 10.0.9 events and projects and only keep the ones online you need at the moment. You don't have to update everything at once.

Even if you do its not really a problem, since you can create new Libraries and drag the events from the "Drive Library" into your new ones, making one for each project.

Personally I prefer to make one library per project, and create a folder for each client to put the project libraries in. The nice thing about the libraries is that you can put them anywhere. And I don't see any reason for moving or hiding things on finder lever anymore. The only reason to do that was that "FCPX Legacy":-) wasn't able to on/offline events

[Tangier Clarke] "How: Quit FCP 10.1 then use "show package contents" to remove the appropriate event folders from current library and copy to package contents of the new Finder-level project library I created in FCP X. Next I deleted the original event.

Result: Restarting FCP 10.1 the new project library had nothing in it. The original had the name of the event, but no content. No Go! "

I'm sorry but if you fiddle in the package contents you set yourself up for those kinds of problems. There's absolutely no reason for doing that. Make a new Library in X and drag events from one library to the other, it does it pretty quickly as far as I can tell, and it doesn't screw up anything :-)

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:55:38 pm

Hey Nikolas. I new I was playing with fire tampering with the contents of the package, but it was on test media used to see how FCP X works; a little more in depth I suppose.

That being said what is more important is I did the above based on my experience(s) with FCP X legacy and it's horrid slow speed in moving files around; moving files at the Finder level as a force of habit. That being said I should have tested managing media in FCP 10.1 first because....

I cannot believe how blazingly fast moving events from one library to another is I just realized literally within the last hour. In fact it's so fast that it doesn't make any kind of sense as I am watching what's happening in the packages in the Finder.

I moved 186 GB in what seemed like barely a minute. Something is not adding up here and this is on a single drive not a RAID. It's like FCP 10.1 is masking file moves. There's no progress bar only a rendering wave forms background task.

My coworkers can't make sense of how it's doing this because the only option FCP presents when I drag an event from one library to the other is to copy the media. The ability to "move" in the File menu is greyed out for me for some reason, but not on other machines in the office.

I double checked and yes, there are two instances of the files - one in the old library and the new library. They are not aliases.

Case in point: moving files in FCP 10.1 seems very viable now albeit unexplainably fast.

Mac Pro early 2009/2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16 GB RAM/ATI Radeon HD 5770/
FCP 10.1

Tangier

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 17, 2014 at 8:20:27 pm

Hey Tangier, I just did a quick test, and in this case I did open the package contents:-) while it was still in copying process.

If both libraries are on the same drive, in my case a USB-3 WD Elements, X doesn't take any time at all to copy. I opened the package contents immediately and the files were inside the new event. X was simply generating waveforms for a couple of minutes, while I was checking out the package contents.

Then I created a new library in my system SSD Drive. When I moved the event to that library X created aliases, then the program started generating audio waveforms, then it started copying files. The aliases turned into blank files with .fcpcopy added to the end of the name, while each was copying. It seemed to take the same amount of time to copy than it usually would dragging files from one drive to the other.

X really does seem to mask the copying of files inside the same drive. The interesting thing is when I duplicated the Transcoded Media folder it took 15 minutes for 42 GB... copying the 42 GB event to a library on the same drive takes no time at all, except for the few minutes of waveform generating.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:58:44 pm

Yeah, we are really scratching our heads at the office about the speed of FCP X copying ability.

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]