FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic intensity - is Dual monitors possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nik Read
Blackmagic intensity - is Dual monitors possible?
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:51:17 am

Hi there

I am running 10.1 on a macbookpro with just one thunderbolt out and I need to see fcpx across dual monitors. At present I simply use the thunderbolt to connect to my second monitor, and my broadcast monitor is connected via the PCI slot to a Matrox mxo2le.

However, Matrox have STILL not updated their drivers to work with either Mavericks OR 10.1 so I'm jumping ship as I have a business to run!

My question is, with the set up I have, can I still use fcpx on dual monitors AND see a broadcast output using a Blackmagic Intensity box?

I have looked and looked but can't see any examples of connectivity that will allow this, due to the fact that I only have a single thunderbolt out of my laptop. I didn't know if the PCI slot would be redundant if I'm not using the Matrox?

Here's hoping some of you clever people might be able to help...!
Thank you in advance,

Nik

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
Re: Blackmagic intensity - is Dual monitors possible?
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:41:58 pm

hi

was just solving similar problem for my friends MacMini. There are two solutions:

1. thunderbolt dock with hdmi out (2nd monitor) and thunderbolt daisy chain. You also get some more usb ports and ethernet :)
http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

2. this solved our situation, but it is not 100% - Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0
it is listed as not supported for mac os x, but believe it or not, we got it working (with beta drivers offered on bm site). It doesn't work in Media Express, but it does work in Final Cut Pro 7.03. I cannot confirm fcpx though. You must try it (easy with notebook though)

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:31:24 am

thanks Jacob, vey helpful.

So using the thunderbolt station produces a good picture quality yeah? Do you have options to change frame rates/PAL/NTSC etc. as you do with Matrox/BM?

But how would I connect my second computer monitor for displaying the FCPX events? Would that need to be HDMI or would a standard DVI work, as my computer monitor doesn't have HDMI?

thanks again,
Nik

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:31:39 pm

thunderbolt station serves just as a hub.

you would connect your second monitor over hdmi on your t.station and your blackmagic minimonitor into thunderbolt port on the t.station
you would also need to buy hdmi to dvi cable for the second monitor. works just the same (digital)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]