FORUMS: list search recent posts

"you are editing clips between libraries" destination event options

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
"you are editing clips between libraries" destination event options
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:40:20 am

I am currently editing a project where I need constant access to my whole media archive. I have each year footage grouped in its dedicated Library, and real media in external folders (f.e. one library in the browser named "2012" pointing to an external folder named "media 2012"). I built a Library for the current project, and I created two separate Events, one for projects, one for the media. Now, if I drag a clip from one of the libraries onto the project timeline, a window pops up reading "you are editing clips between libraries etc". The alias gets then copied into the project Event. Is there a way to default the project to copy the clips from other libraries into an Event that is not the one containing the project(s)? I know I can move the aliases later, or drag the clip onto the wanted event before dragging it in the timeline, but I'd like the other way better.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: "you are editing clips between libraries" destination event options
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:36:20 am

Not that I'm aware of but why not just import the external media folders you'll be using and leave them external? It's only sym files that take up almost no room. Then dip into that well with abandon! You can import media folders (and leave them external) into more than one Library. With that in mind, is there really a need to make those media folders into their own Library if you don't plan to edit within that Library? Just have your media folders as you do now and import them (leaving them external) into every Library where you think you'll be needing something from them.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 16, 2014 at 4:26:13 pm

[Don Smith] "Not that I'm aware of but why not just import the external media folders you'll be using and leave them external? "
Because since previous versions of FCPX I have made a long work adding precious details in the "notes" or even in the "angle" field of each clip and classifying them via keywords collections or marking them as used in previous documentaries. If I import them into a new event from their folder it would all be lost, and it's really crucial to me to use the search tool when I am searching for that very particular shot of a particular fish among a few hundreds, for example. As they are now, my libraries are more than a bunch of clips, but a real archive.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:11:31 pm

OK. In those Libraries that hold your media, can I assume that all the keyword information is in an Event within each Library?

Export the media Event XML and importing that XML into your working Library retains the keywords. It may retain the notes but I have no experience with that but its worth an experiment. Exporting the XML of an Event does NOT take Projects along with it but by your description you have no Projects in those asset Libraries anyway.

So, highlight the Event in your media Library and from the File menu export the Event XML and then go to your working Library and import it. I'll be curious to see if this works for you. The imported Event may show unconnected media and you would reconnect that media back to the media folder. Maybe not.

If it does work then you'll already have that exported XML file to import as you need it in future projects.

All of this is much more simple in practice than it is to describe it. If I'm wrong about this process then please be kind. Just throwing out a possibility to try.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:16:35 pm

After thinking about my reply about XML it occurred to me that I'm overthinking it.

Since both your Media library and your current project Library are loaded, just Option-drag the Event in the media Library to the library name of your current project to make a copy.

If it appears that the copied Event has copied media (managed media that was in the originating Library) keep in mind that the Libraries are using 'hard links' without actually duplicating the real media. If your originating Event had sym links to the media, then you'll have sym links in the copy.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:35:38 pm

Thank you Don. This looks much easier and safer than the XML way. I'd loose one level of grouping (at the moment one Library is one year of shooting, each event inside it a shooting session), but it should be a minor issue.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 16, 2014 at 6:38:05 pm

Just for my education could you explain further what part is not making it? Maybe a screenshot? I've devoted a number of hours to understanding media management in the 10.1 update and this knowledge will possibly help me fill in a gap. Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:01:34 pm

I can't grab a screenshot now because I am not at my office. I will tomorrow morning. However, at the moment, I have, say, eight libraries open in the browser. They are called "2007", "2008", and so on. Each contains multiple events, symlinks only, each event called something like "2008-03-Corse", "2008-07-Cartagena" and so on. Within each event the files are grouped by keywords (like "underwater shots", "landscapes", "Interviews", and so on). Then I have one or more libraries named with the current project(s) I am working on (like "The vagabonds of the sea, episode 1-4"), each containing one event for the media and one for the projects. I can click on the arrow and collapse the libraries I don't need at the very moment. If I drag the events and collect them inside one library, I will have a long series of events, included the one containing the projects, and even if they'll be ordered by name and so by date, they'll not be contained in separate "closets" like my current "2007", "2008" etc. libraries. By the way, I don't know if FCPX could have issues dealing with very large libraries. I noticed that even after long hours of working, with all the libraries showing in the browser, when I open a clip in one of them (maybe one I had not already used in the session, I can't tell yet), a window pops up reading "loading Library and Events", like it was not really loaded before.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 17, 2014 at 2:40:23 pm

Here's the screenshot of my current organization:

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]