FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hints on grouping Favorites?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Hints on grouping Favorites?
on Jan 15, 2014 at 7:49:53 am

I'm going through my footage and making my selects of notable shots using the favorites feature, and renaming the Favorite to what the shot is of. I like this versus using Keywords, because I want to have an indication of what the shot is, and have the specific In and Out that I've already selected, but without having a ton of keyword collections showing up in my event browser describing my shots.

Now that I have my 'selects' made, I want to group them into their various categories just for ease of quickly auditioning different things like 'Establishing Shots' for instance.

I've found that you can select multiple favorites across multiple clips and add them to a keyword collection -- so for example 'Establishing Shots', but the issue I'm hoping to get around is the fact that now the clip has several tags associated with it, and when I filter the keyword collection to show only Favorites, when I arrow through each of the clips it still just plays the whole clip, and it doesn't actually play the trimmed 'Favorite' unless I specifically select the Favorite tag.

What I'm TRYING to do, is find a way to organize it so that I can quickly Arrow down from clip to clip to clip seeing only my trimmed portions, similar to if I had bin that I contained only my subclips.

I know that I would get somewhat this behavior if I made my 'selects' using range keyword collections, but I want to emphasize that I'm doing the organization and grouping AFTER the fact. When I'm first making the selects, I'm just marking the shots that are good and describing them. I want to then be able to see that I have, for instance 5 selects of a car or whatever, and throw those all together.

I've attached an image to demonstrate the multiple keywords that are kind of getting in the way.

Is there anyway to hide this keywords and just display my Favorited portions? Does that make sense.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Hints on grouping Favorites?
on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:16:50 pm

If you only want to display establishing shots, for example, click in the establishing g shots keyword collection in the library browser column. Is that what you mean? I very rarely have the need to twirl down clips themselves like you're displaying.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:35:12 pm

When you sort the browser by favorites, that is sorting by your ranged favorites.

In your screengrab you seem to already be doing what you want as there is more than one instance of the clip.

You can use keywords to define the shot (establishing shot, etc), then use favorite ranges within it, then sort the establishing shot collection by favorites.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:37:01 pm

But keywords can define specific ranges as well. And they can overlap, unlike favorites.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:50:00 pm

Sure, whatever works.

It seems to me that he is using keywords to identify certain shots, and then favorites to further define them.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:53:39 pm

Sure thats pretty much what I do as well. I use keywords more as bins, and then favorites more like piops or selects to mark the good takes or good portions.

But I guess if you're shooting non-stop or marking specific interview answers where you ask different people the same question, then a multitude of approaches would apply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]