FORUMS: list search recent posts

VERY painful discovery...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
VERY painful discovery...
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:28:19 am

I'm working on a project that has long takes shot 2 cameras..usually 20 or more minutes per take. Inside the angle editor, I'm going through and cutting out all of the unusable material, ie: camera men crossing each other, jumping to new shots, etc... so that the multicam clip cam be viewed in context of only whats usable and not distracting. Also, I went through in the Event Browser of the clip, and added a marker where each improved line is, so at a glance there was a transcription of the dialogue referenced in time.

All of this seemed great UNTIL I tried to cut off the head of each of the clips and the audio where the slate was, to clean up the whole thing, and when I selected the clips to move them over and fill that space, every clip snapped together, thus destroying the sync with the audio AND all of my markers....AND THERE IS NO UNDO. Apparently the Undo function isn't connected with editing in the Multicam Editor.

Literally an entire day of editing and painstakingly transcribing gone. Infuriating.

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: VERY painful discovery...
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:41:11 am

FOLLOW UP

Was able to use the function to have all the clips resynchronize via the audio again...phewwww. Still, UNDO should UNDO one would think...

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:06:06 am

In the future, it might be a good idea to keyword/favorite/reject portions of video within the Event Browser first. Then create the multicam clip with only the clips you actually want.

It may or may not be faster to organize this way, but the resulting organization is more useful to you and you don't risk the loss of all that work. The power of the Event Browser should not be underestimated.

Or just leave the unusable footage and gaps in the angle editor and cut those portions from the timeline, which would probably be the fastest and easiest. Personally, I don't mind if my Angle Editor has long unusable parts or big blank gaps, it's easy enough to cut it from the timeline. So long as it's all synced I don't see much sense in fussing with cleaning up. The cutting is done on the timeline (although I do tend to do scene-based color correction, remove unwanted audio channels and other global type adjustments in the angle editor).

There are plenty of ways to go about it all, but I don't think that making selects and rejecting parts of clips from within the Angle Editor and then tidying it up is neither necessary or efficient and it totally neglects the abilities of the Event Browser.

Just some thoughts. Whatever works for you, is best.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:46:02 pm

The UNDO issue sounds like the RAM leak bug. It should UNDO. Did you still have the ability to UNDO anything else or did you completely lose it? If so, did you lose any edits?

But you can also forget the whole multicam approach, which isn't very good for what you are trying to do, and try an alternate approach.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/anatomy-of-editing-a-two-camer...

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]