FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about working on a MacPro and Macbook Pro with the same Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Question about working on a MacPro and Macbook Pro with the same Project
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:18:44 am

I'm updating my events to Libraries for 10.1, and wanted to figure something out that I have had a bit of trouble with -- I have a project that I'm working on both in an edit bay on a MacPro, and also on a Macbook Pro just to continue to work while mobile.

Currently, I have the media managed, and the events are duplicated on my external drive for my Macbook Pro with the same event name with '_EXTERNAL' on the end of it. The reason is, when I tried to just make a duplicate of the event, and then plug the drive in, FCPX saw both Events and would only open one. Because I do a lot of organizational work inside the event, Logging, Tagging, etc....I want to be able to take my work, and then continue it on my other machine, and then have the changes reflect back in my main edit machine.

The way I have things now is clunky because when I plug in my external drive to update my changes, I have 2 events for every event (which is quite a few).

I'm just wondering, what would be the most elegant way to do what I'm trying to do. I've looked around at a bunch of editing collaboration articles, but many of them to deal with the scenario of one editor starting something, and then it being moved to another location to be finished up. What I would like to do is be able to easily go both ways as necessary based on which machine is more convenient to use at the time. Obviously I know I'll have to manually manage which Events and Projects (and now Libraries) are the most 'updated' but I'm just wondering if there is a way to accomplish this without having a duplicate of each Physical Event showing up.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
Re: Question about working on a MacPro and Macbook Pro with the same Project
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:30:41 am

Also -- The reason I was thinking now that I should figure out this back and forth, is that currently I'm on my Macbook Pro and have some of the Events that I'm working with, and want them all to exist in the same Library to represent this overall project, but am wondering what sort of hassle that is going to create when I'm back at my main machine and am trying to consolidate, cleanup, and update everything within the 'master' project.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:06:44 pm

Well, you lost me so let me just give you some points about media management in the 10.1 update.

For me, I had three Events that dealt with the same subject from the old FCPX and about 15 projects between them that I made into a single Library in the 10.1 update. SO much better!

You can mount your Libraries and Events and drag between them to organize your assets to make a single, unified Library after the fact. Try dragging all into a single Library and delete the abandoned Libraries. Managed media (media inside the Libraries) will not be lost and external media will not be touched.

Do an edit on one machine, highlight the Project and export an XML file. Import into the other computer. I would suggest that your newest edit have something appended to its name so you can tell an old project from one that is new.

If you have added new keyword collections, also choose the Event and export its XML. Exporting an Event that way does not include Projects so to get both you need to export the XML of both.

As long as both Libraries (one on each computer) have the same media it won't matter that they aren't both organized exactly the same way.

Note: I seemed to have found a bug in the XML export. If you have movement in a clip (Transform) with keyframes and you've set some keyframes to Linear, they revert to Smooth in the XML export. At least that's happening to me.

Hope this helps.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:38:35 pm

Why not swap the Library back and forth?

Take the library on the MacPro and move it to the library on the laptop.

Do work.

Move library back to MacPro.

Do more work, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]