FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verify I am getting 60FPS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Brower
Verify I am getting 60FPS
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:00:27 pm

Hello I am shooting on a GH3 and G6 1080p 60FPS. Is there a way to verify that when I slow down to %50 speed that I am using all 60 frames per second. I am in a 59.94 timeline but when I go through frame by frame I get a repeat frame every other one. Any tips would be helpful. Also I do not see conform clip in 10.1, is that hidden somewhere?

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
Re: Verify I am getting 60FPS
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:26:19 pm

I shoot in 60fps and cut in a 23.98 timeline, i do slow motion all the time, seems to work just fine

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:59:52 am

[Kevin Brower] "shooting on a GH3 and G6 1080p 60FPS. Is there a way to verify that when I slow down to %50 speed that I am using all 60 frames per second. I am in a 59.94 timeline but when I go through frame by frame I get a repeat frame every other one"

This sounds absolutely right. You have 60fps media in a 59.94 timeline so that's 1:1 at normal play speed. If you slomo it 50%, then you will have 1 source frame for every 2 timeline frames. As you step through, every second frame will be a duplicate. The 50% slomo means it's playing at 30fps in a 59.94 timeline. Just verify that you are in 59.94p and NOT 59.94i timeline.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 15, 2014 at 11:17:47 am

Just looked, "Conform Speed" is now called "Automatic Speed". Lame.

To get every frame of your 60p clips to playback, resulting in slow-mo, place the clip in a "standard frame rate" timeline. 23.98p or 29.97p. Then select the clip in the timeline and choose automatic speed from the retime menu. Your clip will double in length on a 29.97 timeline (50% speed slowmo) because your clip contains 60 frames per second and FCPX is playing frames 1-30 in the first second and frames 31-60 in the next second. In other words it's is playing all of the 60fps, at 30fps. No skipping or recreating any frames.

Just remember that the timeline will automatically match the first clip you add to it, so first add any random clip that has the frame rate you want to edit/deliver in to lock in the timeline settings, then add your 60p clips (then delete that first clip if needed). From here it will default to play at normal speed, dropping every other frame. Once the clips speed has been conformed (er, uh, automaticed?) it will make use of the "extra" frames (1080 60p is not a standard format).

Optical flow can do a pretty good job slowing even further from here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]