FORUMS: list search recent posts

Revert to older version of FCPX, unable to upgrade to 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
Revert to older version of FCPX, unable to upgrade to 10.1
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:39:43 pm

I am in quite the pickle with FCPX. My Mac Pro is the 2006-2007 version therefore I can't upgrade to Mavericks. In turn I can't download FCPX 10.1 from the App Store because I don't have Mavericks. Okay...So I turned to my Mac Air which has the crappy version of FCPX 10.0. Unfortunately the upgrade requires 4GB of ram. I don't have time machine, because that hard drive went bad.

Is it possible to copy the FCPX application and some preference files one computer to another and get a working application? If so, which specific files do I copy over? I have an old hard drive that I put 10.0.8 on.

From what I've read the App Store only has 10.1, and you can't request 10.0.9 or lower. Any insight?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Revert to older version of FCPX, unable to upgrade to 10.1
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:18:35 pm

Why not simply download again from the App Store? Once you purchase FCPX you can download again. Go to the App Store and choose the Purchased tab. You should see FCPX. Hit the Download button.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:23:13 pm

Appreciate the advice, but I think you missed the bulk of my post. I cannot download 10.1 from the App Store.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:37:24 pm

If you have 10.0.x, you should be able to download (probably upgrade) to 10.0.9 if 10.0.x is on the drive. As for copying files from one computer to another, Google an article (it may be on Apple's site) on manually deleting FCPX. It lists all the files and locations where FCPX lives.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:49:03 pm

Here are 2 I found:

Apple Site Open the link "Removing Final Cut Pro X in OS X 10.9 Mavericks." This looks the same to me as for M Lion or Lion.

How to video.

John

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:58:19 pm

10.1 is the only FCPX software on the App Store as far as I can tell. For example, if you have FCPX 10.0 and want to upgrade, it's 10.1, or you don't upgrade. You can't pick and choose 10.0.9 10.0.8 instead. So if your Mac is old and you cannot put Mavericks on your machine and you have FCPX 10.0.3, you will never be able to upgrade to 10.0.9 via the App Store. If your hard drive goes down on an old machine, and you loose FCPX 10.0.9, you won't be able to get it back via the App Store because only 10.1 is available.

Luckily I ended up copying an old version over from another hard drive. I simply copied the application and that was it. Works flawlessly.

FCPX 10.1 requires Mavericks and 4GB of ram

Return to posts index

Eyer Reed
on Feb 16, 2015 at 12:37:04 am

You cannot just 'go to the App Store and download' the app, or what you paid for, as they only allow you to download the NEW version, not the old one. In this case, if you paid for Final Cut X 10.0.8 years ago, NOW, you will get an error saying:

"Final Cut can't be installed on Macintosh HD because Mac OS X version 10.9.2 or later is required."

This should be illegal. As they are forcing you to give up what you legally paid for. This is one of the major problems with not getting hard copies of things today, as they will later pigeon hole you.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 16, 2015 at 2:49:14 am

[Eyer Reed] "You cannot just 'go to the App Store and download' the app, or what you paid for, as they only allow you to download the NEW version, not the old one."

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201377

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:16:43 pm

FCPX is sandboxed. You can copy 10.0.9 from your Mac Pro and install it on your Air. Delete 10.1 off the Air first though. And if you've already converted projects, you'll need to step into the bundle and remove the events. It may be a little difficult getting your events and projects back into 10.0.9 format, but I think it's doable.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:46:04 am

[Ryan Walker] "From what I've read the App Store only has 10.1, and you can't request 10.0.9 or lower. Any insight?"

If your computer won't run the new version, it should be possible to get the older compatible version. See this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5919

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Ian Wright
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:18:22 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I did a clean reinstall of Mavericks on my MacBook Air at the weekend and now the App Store won't let me download FCPX or Motion as they now require 4Gb RAM. There seems to be no way to contact Apple regarding this and I am left without software I have paid for that was working fine a few days ago.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:29:27 pm

As far as I can tell you're out the software at this point. I did not contact Apple regarding the situation, but I have seen a few forums where people aren't getting responses. My guess is if enough people complain, Apple will add 10.0.9 back.

I ended up pulling an old version of FCPX 10.0.9 off of a hard drive and copying it over. Keep in mind FCPX as far as I can tell is a self-contained app. So you simply copy it out of Applications and you're running.

But if you don't have a place to copy an old version from, you appeared to be screwed as of today.

Return to posts index

Ian Wright
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:36:44 pm

Thanks for the response Ryan. I'm guessing even if I downgraded to Mountain Lion I still couldn't install FCPX and Motion from the App Store?

What a ridiculous situation!

Return to posts index

Eyer Reed
on Feb 16, 2015 at 12:40:54 am

Do you know of someone who has the .DMG of this? As I am in the same problem. I run Snow Leopard, my FCX was not running properly, so I deleted it, went to the app store and they did not have the older options, rather, only the new ones. So Now I am screwed. Unlike you, I did not have another copy on another machine to copy over...

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Feb 16, 2015 at 7:25:15 pm

I think if you reach out to the App Store they might have the older version to download.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:38:49 pm

I looked at the link and this is what I took away. You might be able to do it, and you better be using Mountain Lion. I guess majority of stuff that works on Mountain Lion works on Mavericks. Lion is where it gets tricky. For most it might work, but my Mac Pro got cut off at Lion.

"Thanks to the App Store, you may still be able to re-download a compatible"

"Open the App Store (with iOS 4.3.3 or later) or Mac App Store (with OS X Mountain Lion)."

Return to posts index

Tom Goss
on Sep 17, 2014 at 2:13:00 am

I'm having the same trouble. Did you manage to solve it?

I'm currently running 10.0.1 but need to upgrade to at least 10.0.7 but not 10.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:39:53 pm

Tom - My advice is try and pull an old version from a different machine and NEVER UPGRADE! Like Andy mentioned above, FCPX is sandboxed. Therefore you can simply copy the icon from you applications folder.

If you don't have an older version you can try contacting Apple Support. I never managed to get any help via Apple Support, but that was a long time ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]