FORUMS: list search recent posts

"copy files into library" or "leave files in place" for working on music videos?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Kehoe
"copy files into library" or "leave files in place" for working on music videos?
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:41:57 am

Hey guys!

Just grabbed my copy of fcpx 10.1 and am diving right into it. Here is my question, I am going to be primarily using it for music videos (I am in a band out here in Vegas) and was wondering about the "copy files into library" or "leave files in place" - so far I have been using "leave files in place" and it's been just fine. I might be collaborating with other editors on the music videos, so i am wondering which solution you think is best as far as sharing projects, media etc for other editors to work on. I read an article online that recommended "leave files in place" and then creating a "media" folder on an external and then a folder within that folder corresponding with same name as the library folder in fcpx and then leaving all media used in that folder. That way it stays organized when sharing projects and media. Anyways let me know what you think or recommend. Again I will be primarily using fcpx for music videos and very short blogs.

Thanks guys

Jimbo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: "copy files into library" or "leave files in place" for working on music videos?
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:25:21 pm

It's completely up to you and what you need to do.

I end up leaving everything external that I can so everyone has access to the media including other applications.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: "copy files into library" or "leave files in place" for working on music videos?
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:13:36 pm

I also have adopted the workflow of never importing media into the Library bundle. All my media is organized in a folder external to the Library.

You can, of course, Finder-copy that Library to another hard drive then Consolidate that remote Library so that it contains all the media you'll need when you take that external hard drive to another location. The only thing you won't have is any home-made effects you created with Motion so ZIP your Motion Templates folder to take with you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:22:12 pm

Thank you Don! I will continue to leave everything externally! What then is the real purpose for leaving files in the library? Seems to just up too much space and make it more difficult to share the project with other editors, is that correct?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:14:17 am

[Jim Kehoe] "What then is the real purpose for leaving files in the library? Seems to just up too much space and make it more difficult to share the project with other editors, is that correct?"

It is very easy to archive, and it is a very tidy package. It is easy to move around.

There's no reconnecting or guessing where media is when it is inside the library.

Its an option, and you can consolidate media in and out of the library as needed.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:02:38 am

For some there's an advantage to bringing files into the Library. It depends on your needs. For me, I would never bring in media files on the same drive because that would duplicate the media and I see no need for that.

I will sometimes bring into the Library things scattered around my hard drives like still pictures or a piece of music but I certainly leave all big media where it is. Your mileage may vary. For me, I seek first to leave media in place.

It's the great thing about media management on the 10.1 update; you can do whatever you want.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:20:27 pm

Thanks Jeremy!

I think I will leave everything externally, seems to be working just fine!

Return to posts index

Andy Reynolds
on Aug 13, 2016 at 1:26:24 pm

I have found a very serious speed reduction when working off external drives with FCPX. One particular project (music video) had about 130Gb of files which I stored on an external drive and it did work but as I added more effects, keying, green screen and layers it ground to a halt, meaning I had to render every last second before being able to view and evaluate it. I then cleared enough space on my internal SSD to hold the files and it now works fine.

What I find to be a useable workflow is to have this amount of working space on your internal drive with a folder, then manage folders with your files in and out of this working folder. Back them up on your external drive and move on to the next project. If you need to come back to something, then move the external files back in and carry on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]