FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't copy project in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lithman
Can't copy project in FCPX
on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:39:46 pm

I'm trying to copy a project from one hard drive to another in FCPX. Every time I try, final cut crashes.

I've tried fixing disk permissions and trashing the final cut preference files, I get the same result every time.

When copying other projects using the same method it works perfectly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Can't copy project in FCPX
on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:12:25 pm

Ben,

Crashes are most often related to memory issues. And both working space (RAM) and disk writing and overhead issues (free hard drive space) are the primary factors that are usually in play.

(this presumes X loads up properly and works smoothly prior to the copy attempt.)

Make sure you have ample headroom on your drives (and possibly de-fragment them) so that X has a lot of clear headroom - and if you're moving large projects, make sure you have enough RAM in your system so that X can use it for shuffling chunks of the existing projects off to the new locations.

There certainly might be other factors in play, but this is the first place I'd look if I was in your shoes.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:30:35 pm

I'd guess file corruption, which can happen if you force close FCPX when it's ingesting, generating proxies, or rendering.

Try deleting your render and transcoded files and see if that helps.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:14:45 am

Hi, deleting the render files seems to have done the trick. Although final cut still crashed during the transfer, the project did appear on the second hard drive after a restart.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]