FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is the trash in FCPX 10.1 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Douma
Where is the trash in FCPX 10.1 ?
on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:47:03 pm

Hi all,

Just started using FCPX with its new library management and one the things I came across is that deleted events and projects can be put back using the undo (so there must be a trash somewhere FCPX is using to recover from), but I have not been able to locate this trash anywhere.

If I cannot find it, I cannot view it and I cannot permanently delete things.

What am I missing ?

Any help is appreciated

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Where is the trash in FCPX 10.1 ?
on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:03:05 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:07:14 pm

Everything is in the library. Just show package contents to see inside. But it gets emptied when you quit. There is no reason to manually be playing around with the trash.

EDIT: In fact, it actually deletes the trash when you close the library.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:24:43 pm

What Bret said is accurate and useful.

It's also useful to understand that X does very little actual moving or manipulating of anything "trashable" like a file.

It operates by tracking metadata changes - which essentially are nothing more than text.

Imagine it like a huge MS Word file.

So "saving" things is just like "saving" a document.

You can TRASH that document by deleting the entire thing - but there's no reason to "trash" the changes you made in your last re-writing session. The program itself is always updating the current version as you edit it. In X 10.1 you now have what is essentially a Save As system with the new "Duplicate Project as Snapshot" command.

Overall you need to change from thinking of an X project as a "thing", made of other discrete "things" - and think of it more as a system for building documents (projects) that are kept in folders (events) that are all kept virtual file cabinet drawers (Libraries) which can be stored in various file cabinets (hard drives and storage pools) that can be located anywhere you like.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:51:37 am

I think if you trash an event, it actually ends up in the in the system trash. I had some problems because I had a file in an event that was damaged. I had to trash the event and then empty the system trash. Eventually it went away.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:18:44 am

No, the files definitely do not end up in the system trash.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:17:52 am

Thanks Bret, that takes care of my fear of filling up my HD's

There is still a point, though, of not being able to view the trash. If this is not possible, how do I restore a deleted event other than do repeated Undo's till the point where I deleted that event ? In my opinion it would make sense to be able to view the trash, look for the event to restore and select it.

Something different: the term "event" in the new library management system is very confusing. I understand it is a legacy term used in the previous versions of FCP and in iMovie, but now it is more like a folder. I would expect projects to be built from events (as before) so putting a project inside an event for me is like putting a letter around the envelop: wrong hierarchy. If Apple change the File Management they might as well have changed terminology. But there's not much one can do about it...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:48:15 pm

Well the function of events hasn't changed. It only appears more like a folder because it's now contained within a library. How you use the new structure is up to you. You can use a library for every job, every client, every sport, every month, or whatever works for you. Seems that most are using one library per job, akin to a legacy project. And in this case there is a spreading argument that events are pointless and should simply be folders, and that key wording should be across the whole library. So many still are using few events in a library and keywords and smart collections for organization. In my setup I use one event for projects and one event for media. And if you look at legacy and other NLEs you would generally do the same thing- have a bin setup for sequences.

And FWIW- they changed iMovie to this system a month before X but I guess you missed that. When Alex4D dug into the new iMovie code he discovered that it's likely the same code as X, just with features turned off.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:07:10 am

[Bret Williams] "In my setup I use one event for projects and one event for media"

What is your reasoning for projects in an event? I know apple did it that way when updating from 10.0.9 but if you create a new event in 10.1 it has a check box to create a project in the event.

I'm trying to figure out which way to go. Projects in there own event or in the media event.

I help a friend update his projects and events. We had to relink a lot of media, I told him to copy the media into the current Library on reconnecting and when we did this the media was imported into the "updated projects" event But this seems messy too. It seems Apple is sending mixed messages about where projects should reside.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:18:53 pm

Because I don't want to go scrolling all over creation just to find my projects. That's it. No different than having a sequences bin in legacy or avid. Just organizational.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Jan 15, 2014 at 8:47:45 pm

Finally found the trash, though not in FCPX itself, but in the package content.

Just find the FCPX library via Finder, Right Click>Show Package Content and there it is: a folder called _Trash. Open it and you will find your deleted stuff. No idea why Apple makes life so difficult.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]