FORUMS: list search recent posts

collaborative workflow: duplicating project takes a long time!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georg P. Mueller
collaborative workflow: duplicating project takes a long time!
on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:08:12 am

Hi Guys,

I enjoy this forum and am glad it exists to gather so much useful information for working with X.

I am working on a long form documentary and decided to take the project home to work on sound over the weekend on my macbook. Created a new library, dragged the project in there (and checked copy media) and it took a long while but worked great. Now I need to get the updated project back to my main editing. I have created a new "transfer" library and dragged the updated project in there with all media unchecked. To my surprise this takes ages and the resulting library is almost as big as the one that contains media. What am I doing wrong here?

Georg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: collaborative workflow: duplicating project takes a long time!
on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:12:48 am

If your original media is in the library, fcpx copies the media to the new library.

You said you checked 'copy media' so most likely the media is in the library.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:53:12 am

Hi,

why not export the project as xml since you have media on both computers ?

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:16:43 pm

Doesn't XML still lose some things? Why not simply take the folder representing the sequence/project from the event at home, and copy it over to the event at work? That's how I would have done it in previous versions and all you had to do was click the modify event references button (if the event was different name at home vs. work). But now, you shouldn't have to do that since the project is embedded in the event/library already.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:28:15 am

Thanks - I understand it now. It's not the way it was in 7... Even if you uncheck the copy media checkboxes it will copy whatever media is needed to create the timeline.

My problem was that the original transfer library always crashed FCX on my main computer upon opening, and I decided to create a new library on my macbook. Since I already had the media all I wanted was an updated project...

Fast forward: After another long edit day with director I wanted to take the updated project home with me on a little usb 3 drive. I dragged the updated project over to my transfer library with copy media unchecked. It still was awfully slow, even if all media are present in both libraries.

So I guess XML is the way to go. I will try it out.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:32:59 am

I was talking about in the finder, showing package contents, and just grabbing the project folder from inside the event folder. Then at the next location, rename it v3 or whatever and drop it in the same event folder.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:35:13 am

Hi Bret,

Very cool idea! I can open the library folder (show package contents) and can find the events in there. But I could not drill down further into the event folder to find the project file in there. So I just copied that entire event into the other library (and renamed it to V.2) but it did not show up upon opening.

I am sure I am doing something wrong here. Anyway, it obviously was not designed to work this way and XML export/import or just doing it in FCX (patiently waiting) seems to do the trick...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:23:32 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:53:29 pm

[Georg P. Mueller] "So I just copied that entire event into the other library (and renamed it to V.2) but it did not show up upon opening."

It doesn't work that way as it doesn't seem to get added to the 'flexolibrary'.

[Georg P. Mueller] "I am sure I am doing something wrong here. Anyway, it obviously was not designed to work this way and XML export/import or just doing it in FCX (patiently waiting) seems to do the trick..."

You need to consolidate the media out of the library and have a copy of it in each location.

Take your library with you, and relink when you connect the other drive.

It's very similar to how fcp7 project file works, but you have to be sure the media is external to the library.

Render files are also located inside the library, as well as any proxy or optimized media you may or may not have created. If this media is inside the library (render, proxy, optimized), you can use fcpx to copy the library to the new location, make sure to leave the 'copy proxy and optimized' media boxes unchecked, and fcpx will automatically not include render files. This will yield the smallest possible library.

I highly recommend Ripple Training's new series on 10.1. It might help you figure out what is happening with Libraries.

http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/final-cut...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:52:03 am

Hi Jeremy

Thanks a lot for your input. I will check out the new Ripple Training when I have the time. It's always good to know the basics.

Cheers

Georg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]