FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.1- Media Management Indeed - Still waiting ( a little).

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
FCP X 10.1- Media Management Indeed - Still waiting ( a little).
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:03:54 pm

I am using FCP 10.1 and am very impressed with many of the new features. I am reading/hearing about the "improvements" to media management, but I'm not a big fan of the library bundle idea. Am I the only one or one of few? Here's my thoughts and questions; some of which I've been posting about for several versions of FCP X now and have sent as request to Apple.

01 - I want direct Finder access to where my media is. I use Finder media organization a lot.
02 - So is it OK or not to go in an out of the bundle now using "show package contents?
03 - Why are we being pushed away from [useful] Finder files (hidden user library, FCP bundles,         Quicktime-wrapped AVCHD private folder, etc.)?
04 – Media management that can truncate clips to just what we need for archiving (a la FCP 7).
05 - I would have preferred a bundle as an archive feature/format once a project is finished perhaps.
06 – Still can't reimport from folders as reels (our card backups) rather than being forced to create         camera archives first (like rebuilding a project using log and transfer).
07 – Color marker for duplicate clips in the storyline (a la FCP 7)
08 - I'd at least like to skim the project(s) in the open library (a la FCP X 10.0.9 project viewer)
09 - Search storyline multicam clips based on active angle (for applying effects and such)
10* - Is my machine really unqualified? It gets bogged down after hours of editing. Memory leak?

* Getting ready to upgrade to new computer.

Mac Pro early 2009/ 2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon/ 16 GB Ram/ ATI Radeon HD 5770/ Mac OS 10.9.1 / Black Magic Multibridge Pro/ 8 TB internal/ 2 Work displays, 1 Broadcast monitor, 1 client display (all connected to Mac Pro)

Tangier

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: FCP X 10.1- Media Management Indeed - Still waiting ( a little).
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:57:35 pm

01 - You have finder access to your media. Your media doesn't need to be in the FCP bundle.

02 - I've done it several times and there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's just like messing around in the old event folders. Only difference now it that multiple events can be grouped in the same bundle.

03 - I don't see these as similar or part of a larger strategy. FCP bundles keep things all together making them easier to move from system to system if needed. The library hide was a little more like child-proofing. I don't understand AVCHD comment.

04 - Not here yet. Rest assured, there will be rejoicing in the streets if this ever gets put back. However, I wonder if they will.

05 - In past versions, the sparse disk served that function. Personally I'm a fan of a more cohesive organizational structure of FCP projects.

06 - I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

07 - dupe color doesn't exist in the timeline, but we now have used clip markers in the event browser. This would seem to serve a similar function (if you're worried about using the same shots).

08 - Yeah, I think that one's gone for good. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't exist in 10.1 if they were going to keep it.

09 - If you want to apply affects to an angle in a multicam, why not just apply it in the angle editor?

10 - Based on your set up, I'd say your RAM is a little low. I have nearly the same set up, but with 32 GB RAM instead of 16. There could be all sorts of problems causing your slow downs. It's hard to say.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:22:52 pm

01 - You have finder access to your media. Your media doesn't need to be in the FCP bundle.
Thank you for that correction. I was addressing using the bundle structure.

02 - I've done it several times and there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's just like messing around in the old event folders. Only difference now it that multiple events can be grouped in the same bundle.
Good to hear. I did too. I just was more careful of my use of the Finder event and project folders while FCP was open - would cause an occasional project corruption problem.

03 - I don't see these as similar or part of a larger strategy. FCP bundles keep things all together making them easier to move from system to system if needed. The library hide was a little more like child-proofing. I don't understand AVCHD comment.
Just noticing a trend - Apple making things "easier" by further abstracting what's inside. It adds more complexity in some ways in my opinion. But who am I? I am sure they spend more money on R&D than I do. Quicktime X introduced "bundling" the contents of the "private" folder for AVCHD cards. Now you have to "show package contents" to get to the .mts files which on rare occasions is necessary when FCP can't ready a card, but Toast 10 or 11 can read the mts files just fine (and transcode them)

04 - Not here yet. Rest assured, there will be rejoicing in the streets if this ever gets put back. However, I wonder if they will.

05 - In past versions, the sparse disk served that function. Personally I'm a fan of a more cohesive organizational structure of FCP projects.
Not of a fan of sparse disk model. Tried it. To each their own.

06 - I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?
We backup our cards to hard drives and then clone that/those drives.
If we want to restore an old project where the media is offline, FCP X has never been able to reimport the media from the backed up folder. You only have two choices: a) turn your backed up folders into camera archives so that FCP X will recognize them b) import your backed up card(s) into the old or a new event simply for the purpose of creating Quicktimes that you can then point your old project to to rebuild the offline files.

For storage/cost sake after a project is complete we do not backup all of the original media and transcoded media that we shot because we have the reels from which to recreate that media.

It’s very cumbersome really. For a project that has many reels this is horrid; being forced to create camera archives (and not in a batch fashion) takes a lot of time. Once media for a project is offline, you cannot rebuild that project using the reimport feature without the camera archive data type or a connected camera.

It’d be nice for Apple to release that and bring back the FCP 7 method where you can have a completely offline project and use log and transfer to just point FCP 7 to the reel folders. FCP X does not let you reimport from the original card structure (represented as a folder in the Finder) from which we made our initial import to begin with.

This is very strange and has never been addressed.

07 - dupe color doesn't exist in the timeline, but we now have used clip markers in the event browser. This would seem to serve a similar function (if you're worried about using the same shots).
Viewing marked ranges isn't quite the same. Although helpful it's not what I am looking for.

08 - Yeah, I think that one's gone for good. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't exist in 10.1 if they were going to keep it.

09 - If you want to apply affects to an angle in a multicam, why not just apply it in the angle editor?
Yep. Tha't's what I've been doing. I guess I was focusing on making sure only the portion I need being rendered rather than making the entire clip needing to be rendered. I know that's a moot point though since once you exit the angle editor it's FCP does not continue rendering the entire angle.

10 - Based on your set up, I'd say your RAM is a little low. I have nearly the same set up, but with 32 GB RAM instead of 16. There could be all sorts of problems causing your slow downs. It's hard to say.
I thought about just upping my RAM too. The iMacs (i5 processors with 1 GB VRAM and less RAM than my machine) in the office are butter smooth with FCP X 10.1 and prior. I have the same VRAM hence GPU memory. I am so used to having to move a clip or select something and having to wait for a few seconds. This has been since before 10.1 and I've done a full OS refresh. It just doesn't move as fast as I do. I spend a lot of time waiting for it to keep up.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Andy.

Forgot one more thing

11 - Batch export projects.

Strange too - since the FCP X 10.1. update FCP 7 and the Apple Qmaster system preference no longer work.

Andy

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:23:28 pm

My 2 cents.

Everyone here knows I very much loved the old "visual project library" model. So hearing that it was gone, brought me up short.

At first, I reacted kinda "wtf???" - but then I calmed down and thought about it.

OK, Apple's NLE design staff thinks this new way is a better design approach. Let me give it some time and see if I can see why.

I say that because one of the MOST annoying thing about the web these days is the relentless need for everyone to be the FIRST one to post an opinion of something - particularly a condemnation - regardless of how well they understand the thing they're condemning. I don't want to be "that guy."

(If some here recall, that was kinda the story of the whole first year of FCP-X, no?)

So maybe if that was my position about OTHERS reaction to the original X change - I should keep my trap shut until I feel like I understand these changes well enough to truly understand how the new system works?

Crazy, I know.

But that's what I'm thinking these days.

So I;ll report here and elsewhere when I feel I've spent enough daily working time to fully "grok" the new system. And until then I'll watch, listen and gain personal experience.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:39:53 pm

Understand your point Bill. For the record I've loved and been a big proponent FCP X since day one even with the quarks and things I missed from FCP 7 because I saw in real use how it helped me.

The pluses far outweigh the minuses in my opinion.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:58:14 pm

Tangier,

Please don's take that as any kind of personal diss. I know you've been personally open and supportive of X all along.

It's more a general reaction to what I've read across all the boards and forums.

I'm more aware than ever that what we don't understand annoys us. And in the age of the instant internet, it's become common for people to treat open forums like they're talking to their next door neighbor - who might know their personal temperment and be able to put comments and criticisms in context.

This board - this time - has been WAY more mild than others I participate in - where every little change in anything about how X operates in 10.1 seems to be greeted with a screaming "WTF??? Why did they think they had to change this. I'm pissed!"

Sign of the times, methinks.

It will settle down soon and we'll have more clarity every day as the huge worldwide base of users get used to this revision.

: )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jan 11, 2014 at 12:15:23 am

Didn't take it as a diss, though your comments are a good reminder about checking our attitudes towards change. Frankly that's why I love the technology component of editorial. It's constantly changing; keeps us learning and something is always new (though these days not new for long).

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2014 at 3:55:36 am

01...[Tangier Clarke] "Thank you for that correction. I was addressing using the bundle structure."

Command-shift-r is a really easy way to get to the Finder from FCPX.

03...[Tangier Clarke] "Just noticing a trend - Apple making things "easier" by further abstracting what's inside. It adds more complexity in some ways in my opinion. But who am I? I am sure they spend more money on R&D than I do. Quicktime X introduced "bundling" the contents of the "private" folder for AVCHD cards. Now you have to "show package contents" to get to the .mts files which on rare occasions is necessary when FCP can't ready a card, but Toast 10 or 11 can read the mts files just fine (and transcode them)"

FCPX 10.1 can read mts files without the card structure.

06...[Tangier Clarke] "We backup our cards to hard drives and then clone that/those drives.
If we want to restore an old project where the media is offline, FCP X has never been able to reimport the media from the backed up folder. You only have two choices: a) turn your backed up folders into camera archives so that FCP X will recognize them b) import your backed up card(s) into the old or a new event simply for the purpose of creating Quicktimes that you can then point your old project to to rebuild the offline files."

I have always been able to simply reimport and everything reconnects very easily. How are you doing your clones?

It is certainly not as automatic a process as 7, but it does work.

Also, what formats do you typically shoot? Perhaps investing in a native MXF plugin will help cut down on costs and allow you to use the native media. I use MXF4mac and even though it's an expensive plug, it actually saves money in the long run.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]