FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving Libraries ... how do I get rid of render files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
archiving Libraries ... how do I get rid of render files
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:47:55 pm

Hi... FCPX 10.1 looking good... just wondered how to get rid of render files before archiving projects...

in the latest Apple FCPX white paper it says this...

To save disk space, you can remove render files before moving or archiving a library. Copying a project between libraries does not copy render files because render files can be quickly regenerated.

But I still have a render Files ?? in the library package after moving the project to a new library prior to archiving. they are still there. Can I just delete the Thumbnail media, Peaks Data, High quality Media.. from the folder thats made by this new library package? either in finder? or within in fcpx? why do I need to keep these files?

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: archiving Libraries ... how do I get rid of render files
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:19:42 pm

You can do it from the finder, High Quality Media is the biggest hard drive hog but the other 2 can go as well.

Those files are good to keep for projects in progress, they can be used to speed up the display of your clips and faster playback and exports. However, they just take a little time to recreate so they can be safely deleted, especially for completed projects.

You can also do it within FCPX by selecting either an event or a project and choosing file-->delete render files.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:40:18 pm

Thanks... but....

You can also do it within FCPX by selecting either an event or a project and choosing file-->delete render files.

now this option is not in the latest version... or its is somewhere else. but its not in my 10.1 version.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:53:05 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:54:41 pm

Delete render files is still in the FCP X File menu. Transcoded media or analysis files are kind of a pain to delete though. You can do it manually, but try this...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/x-wiper/id761443168?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Really useful little $15 app...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:09:05 pm

You must have an event or project selected (blue selection, not gray) to get the option. If it's an event it will say Delete Event Render files, and if it's a project it'll say Delete Project Render Files.

-------------

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:50:02 pm

[Charlie Austin] " You can do it manually, but try this..."

Probably been months or longer since I went through and cleaned up render files and I need to go in and do it soon. I'm still on 10.0.x.

If I remember correctly, via the Finder, you can delete the files within the folders or simply drag the complete folders to the trash as FCPX will create new folders when it creates new render files.

Am I remembering correctly?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:51:25 pm

Yep, just trash the Render Files folder and as long as you still have the original media, the Transcoded Media folder.

-------------

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:08:42 pm

[Dave Gage] "via the Finder, you can delete the files within the folders or simply drag the complete folders to the trash as FCPX will create new folders when it creates new render files."

Not sure about folders, but yes, that's the way to do it. Though I gotta say, the X-Wiper app made this so freaking easy. Anyone who has more that a handful of Libraries/Projects/Events should use this.

I freed up over 500GB on my internal drive the other day. I have hundreds of current and old projects/event/libraries and doing this manually would have taken a good chunk of a day. It took me 10 minutes. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:28:46 am

Plus 1 for X-Wiper, great little app that makes it very easy to see exactly what you are doing.

Battistella

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:22:39 pm

[David Battistella] "...that makes it very easy to see exactly what you are doing."

David,

I'm likely in a minority here in these forums, but I greatly prefer to do things like this manually to make sure I understand what is being done and how much is being done. I always take my time and if there's a mistake, I only have one person to blame. I'm also very careful to back up before hand. I never used or needed Event Manager and my truck is a 5-speed stick with no auto windows or door locks, so at least I'm consistent in my perspective.

On a completely different subject, I haven't seen any of your work in at least a year. Do you have any new stuff up at Vimeo?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]