FORUMS: list search recent posts

update event and projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay smith
update event and projects
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:30:14 am

Not knowing much about 10.1 and while in the process of trying to figure it out, I ended up moving the events and projects files that were in the “show package conent” of the new library and put them back into the events/projects on my hard drive. When I realized that was not a good move, I tried to put them back only to find that the library is unable to read them. I even tried the “update projects and events” tab again, but it no longer reads the files in the events/projects folder. Last, I tried to change the extension back to .fcpproject, only to find that didn’t work either. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: update event and projects
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:20:19 am

You should NEVER EVER go into the package contents and move stuff around. Up to 10.0.9 it was possible to move the Event and Project Folder into Hidden Folders, but going into the folder structures and not knowing what to do is a big mistake. Now we have the possibility to open and close Libraries within X, so there's absolutely reason to move Events an Projects around on finder level, especially not going into the Library package contents.

By doing that you probably screwed some metadata up and I honestly don't know how you can fix it.

I recommed you go to http://www.rippletraining.com and check out their Tutorial on 10.1

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

jay smith
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:46:30 pm

I appreciate the link, but it's annoying to receive a lecture from people. I clearly know that now, so advice on how to fix it was all that I asked for!

For those reading, who have made the same mistake as I made, here is a tip. Put the files back into the final cut projects/events folders and import them again. Note, that only the events will be imported and NOT the projects well at least that is what happened for me. If fcp 10.1 does not respond to the "update projects/events" prompt when trying to import multiple projects, then try putting a few files at a time in final cut projects/events folder and then select "update projects/events" again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:46:36 pm

FWIW- sometimes a lecture isn't for you, but to make a stronger point to others considering doing the same thing.

When you updated to 10.1 and it updated your folders, you were given the option yo save the old events and projects folders. Your answer should have been a resounding yes. Those exist in a folder called old projects and old events or something like that. If you have them, quit FC. Move those back into the FCP Projects/Events folders like the old days. You might want to delete the new screwed up library or rename it while you're at it. Then relaunch FC and run the update projects events command and you should be good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]