FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managed Media or External Media for working with music videos?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Kehoe
Managed Media or External Media for working with music videos?
on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:38:06 am

Hey guys!

diving into fcpx 10.1 here, wanted to get some advice from the pros on what the best way to manage my media for cutting music videos. I can see advantages to both managed media and external, but want to know what you guys think... I'm leaning towards external just because i can more easily collaborate with other editors. But the managed media seems simple because everything is just stored in fcpx 10.1. Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Managed Media or External Media for working with music videos?
on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:59:03 am

My 2cents is that the decision has nothing at all to do with the form of the work you're doing.

Managed vs external is about two things. The nature of the primary storage architecture you will actually be working with - (iso drives, NAS, SAN, etc - And the number of brains that need to be involved in the creative work as you move from concept to completion.

My advice is to strive for as much simplicity as you possibly can.

Interesting to see that after years of moving primary asset storage away from the host box - I'm starting to read more and more about the advantages of moving it closer to the box now that SSD's are common and our pipes are getting bigger.

Go figure.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:27:24 am

[Bill Davis] "Interesting to see that after years of moving primary asset storage away from the host box - I'm starting to read more and more about the advantages of moving it closer to the box now that SSD's are common and our pipes are getting bigger."

Media? On the system drive?

http://www.pond5.com/sound-effect/8870436/organ.html

You used to be crazy to do it. Now you might be crazy not to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jasper Thayer
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:03:27 am

Heya Jim,

The same question was asked in a post directly below yours about 2 hrs ago. Please take the time to read the response to that inquiry http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/26757

Whatever method you choose make sure that you backup your media files in case the media files you're using become compromised.

Jasper Thayer
Apple Certified Trainer
http://FinalCutProX.net

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:49:25 am

Guys! Thanks for the replies! I watched all your tutorials jasper! Great job! I am thinking I am going to go with external media. As I organized that way previously. It would be awesome if you did a tutorial on cutting a music video in fcpx 10.1, like syncing audio with the shots, stutter effects etc, that'd be awesome!

Return to posts index

Jasper Thayer
on Jan 7, 2014 at 2:34:42 am

Heya Jim,

Thanks for the compliment. You probably made a good choice by going with external media. Personally, I prefer the external media approach when editing.

I helped an editor yesterday that had a problem with a Managed Library that became corrupted after a FCPX crash during an editing session. I suggested that they try to open a backup, but from the FCPX backup library they couldn't re-link the clips that were contained in the corrupted Library bundle. Luckily we were able to open the package contents of the corrupted Library bundle file and copy the media files to a location that allowed the backup Library file to reconnect the media. The editor didn't have a backup of their media files, so if we were unable to access the media files from the corrupted Library bundle contents then it would of been a much worse situation.

Although I think having a backup of your files is imperative, it also seems like a small layer or protection to have your files externally managed. That way if the Library file becomes corrupted you can still access your external media easier than trying to get them off the package contents of a corrupted Library file.

In the near future I'll try and make a tutorial on cutting a music video in FCPX 10.1. One suggestion I would offer when cutting a music video is to put the music track on the primary storyline and connect clips to the audio because you'll never "move around" the audio in the storyline of a music video anyways.

Hope that helps!

Jasper Thayer
Apple Certified Trainer
http://FinalCutProX.net

Return to posts index

Jim Kehoe
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:19:20 am

Thanks a lot for info Jasper! I manage media externally thanks to your advice! Looking forward to a music video tutorial! Also, are there any tutorials on How to make lyric videos in FCPX? Or is that done in motion?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]