FORUMS: list search recent posts

Libraries instead of Sparse Images - is it that easy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Libraries instead of Sparse Images - is it that easy?
on Jan 5, 2014 at 5:45:10 pm

Ok, I've finally got round to having a play with 10.1 having done full clean install of Mavericks from the ground up. All silky smooth and fast on the MacPro 2009 / Sapphire HD 7950.

My workflow on FCPX has been to create a folder on the RAID (for each work job) into which I put a sparse image (and any other folders of things related to the project) - this means that all individual jobs can be stored in one folder and moved around easily. It has all worked very well.

I've just found that I can do exactly the same, but with a Library instead of the Sparse Image (ie, create a folder for the assignment and then put the library in it). I have found myself thinking that it can't be that simple, but it seems to work faultlessly.

Could someone confirm that I have or haven't got this right? Thanks and sorry for my slight bemusement over this!

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.thevideodepartment.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Libraries instead of Sparse Images - is it that easy?
on Jan 5, 2014 at 6:31:14 pm

Yes. And previously I did the same thing when archiving a project. I'd puta FCP projects folder and FCP events folder in my job folder along with all the other files, scripts, etc. if I needed to open the project I simply moved them to the root level. I liked this better than sparse because it was so easy to browse search and skim the files in the finder.

Now, they made the browsing and skimming harder by putting it in a package, but of course the media can all be external so no biggie. It's better that a project can be launched right from where I've archived it without mounting sparse or manually moving things.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 5, 2014 at 6:42:48 pm

That really is one of the goodies related to the new Library structure - you can have them anywhere. It really is as simple as you've discovered.

The only hiccup occurs if you're upgrading from 10.0.x to 10.1 and you accept the default conversion offer that FCP makes when you first run 10.1 without being aware of the myriad tutorials that cropped up warning you to do the conversion manually.

The downside, as Brett mentions, is the inability to easily browse the library bundles in Finder. This could end up backfiring on the Apple design idea as more and more users use referenced clips instead of copying the original clips into the libraries.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jan 5, 2014 at 10:51:04 pm

Yes about the tutorials that cropped up and one of them encouraged the viewer not to import anything into the Library; to leave all media external. Of course that doesn't stop that folder of external media being in the same folder with the Library file. Move the enclosing folder and you move everything. This is what I've adopted and, so far, its working well for me. If that library and project files needed to travel then simply copying the enclosing folder will bring everything. That is, if you've been careful to organize your media to always be in the enclosing folder. And, watch out that you are also traveling with a ZIP file of your Motion Templates folder in case you used a home-grown effect in your project.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: Libraries - Why externalize the media now?
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:23:43 pm

I'm going to ditto the above. I'm enjoying the new library system.

I've been fairly religious about keeping my media in external folders, and I'm starting to wonder why.

The organization within FCPX makes it so easy to find and share media between projects, or to locate it in the finder, I'm considering letting FCPX do all the work of keeping my media for me.

Why not? However every project will have files that will need to be stored outside the FCPX library, like psd builds and scripts, so I think I'll adopt Don's plan of the folders holding the library as well as any extra material. Maybe a future iteration of FCPX will include scripts as assets and have a way to sync them with a project.

Now, if there was just a way to perform a spotlight search inside the FCPX library packages, that might make it even better.

--> Mark

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:12:57 am

Because external media doesn't get duplicated when you copy files between libraries. And because it can be shared if it's external.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jan 6, 2014 at 3:26:16 am

If the media is stored in the Library and you want to back up your work nightly you will have to copy hundreds of gigs every night or open the package and copy only whats changed. I have that problem right now so I'm thinking of storing as much of the media as possible externally. Before the Library I used a folder syncing program. I don't know if this can be done with the Library structure.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:57:17 am

Sure you can sync them - just sync the .fcpbundle folders.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:52:22 am

Yes, I doubt the program would look inside the bundle for the changes, and simply re-sync the entire bundle. Make one minor alteration to a timeline, and a 100gb bundle will copy over from scratch.

I see the advantage to keeping the media outside the library. Those are very good things to consider. Thanks.

One mod I'd request from Apple would be that libraries appear in the event browser sorted by the drive they're on. I'd like that option. Until then I'm including an abbreviation for the drive in the library title.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 6, 2014 at 3:11:47 pm

No - sync looks at the bundle as a folder. Therefore, only the changes in the folder will be synced.

Just because Finder and FCP X treat the .fcpbundle folder as special, doesn't mean that everything does. To see what I mean, open a Terminal and type:
ls -l /Path/To/My FCP Library.fcpbundle
You'll see that the "bundle" is nothing more than a specially identified folder.

For instance:
tjones$ ls -l /Volumes/VD 1/Secondary Background.fcpbundle/
total 152
-rw-r--r-- 1 tjones staff 77824 Jan 3 11:04 CurrentVersion.flexolibrary
drwxr-xr-x 3 tjones staff 102 Jan 3 11:04 R3D Originals
drwxr-xr-x 3 tjones staff 102 Jan 3 11:04 Short Clips

Programs such as BRU, Chrono Sync X and rsync have no issues seeing the real contents of the bundle.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:37:03 pm

I have no issue with that request, but seems a little odd. Is it just because there's media in it? I can't really think of any app that continually visually tells you what drive the file/doc you're working on is on. Made sense with the old structure since you had multiple FCP Events and FCP Projects folders of the same name.

But if I'm opening and saving my libraries, I generally know where I opened them from and saved them to. FWIW if you hover over the library it will show where it's located with a tooltip.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:59:40 pm

I've always used Chronosync for my daily backups and I simply tell it to treat packages as folders so only the library changes are copied. I'm sure other sync apps would offer the same option.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jan 6, 2014 at 8:22:24 pm

Yes my sync app does see the package as a folder. Good News!!!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]