FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpx 10.1 and mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Castiglione
fcpx 10.1 and mavericks
on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:43:27 am

I have updated to mavericks and fcpx 10.1 and have noticed a definite slow down in performance when editing - beach ball of death making an appearance, lack of responsiveness when performing basic editing functions. Anyone having a similar experience? All the standard troubleshooting tips make no difference. I suppose it could just be the first iteration and it might improve. However, I cant help wondering whether it is not also the single library structure that is the problem. Before, I could open and close events and projects to control this. Now, it will of course open a single Library and if that library is very large isnt that going to lead to performance issues?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: fcpx 10.1 and mavericks
on Jan 5, 2014 at 10:02:17 am

Hi rob,

Larry Jordin had a great tips video on how to upgrade libraries one buy one.

I have spilt all of my projects into different libraries instead of one large one. Even in the largest libraries, excess of ten days of shooting, I find the exact opposite of what you are reporting.

Fcp 10.1. Is much, much snappier and more responsive.

I think you might be correct in that is the large library. Also is all of this footage on one drive?

You can select sections of footage (maybe stuff you are not using all the time) and use the create new library menu item to break that one large library into smaller pieces.

Also double check all that your video card/ram/etc is up to spec for the new FCPX

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Robert Castiglione
on Jan 5, 2014 at 3:12:51 pm

Thanks David. I really appreciate your response. Hope all is well with you and that you are making some great films.

Yes, I should have imported the material into different libraries. Prior to the upgrade I was not having any difficulties at all. I am working on two documentaries and simply created two libraries, one for each production. Each has hundreds of events and many projects. I think that is the core issue particularly as I am using a pretty ancient 8 core mac pro. I am going to split the material into different libraries as you suggest.

However, the pain wont last long - I am waiting for new mac pro to arrive so I can certainly live with a few issues until then.

Best Regards

Rob

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:35:16 pm

Great to see you here Rob, I hope your projects are going well. I'm deep in post production as well.

Cheers!

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Quintus Lubbe
on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:39:27 pm

Hi, Robert

I'm having major lag problems on 10.1 and Mavericks. Everytime I hit play in the timeline there is a short but noticeable delay. Once playback starts there is again a lag while, it seems, the playhead needle tries to catch up. When I then stop playback the needle also carries on playing for a bit before stopping. This makes "gut feel" editing really difficult.

Have heard that this might be a problem on an install over ML and seems to disappear with clean install but haven't had the chance to try yet.

My system is a Mac Pro 4.1, 16 GB ram, ATI Radeon 5770.

Return to posts index

Robert Castiglione
on Jan 25, 2014 at 12:44:09 am

Hi Quintus,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My problems are now solved. I used Digital Rebellion's preference manager first to clean up my old preferences. Then I installed the latest update of fcp 10.1.1 and that was it! I have my old fcp x back. Even the Libraries with very large numbers of events are responsive again.

Return to posts index

Quintus Lubbe
on Jan 25, 2014 at 6:30:30 am

Hi, Robert

Thanks for the tip. Did you do a clean install if Mavericks as I've heard that an install over ML could also cause this issue. I would hate to go down this route as it takes me out if action for a day I installing all my software again but if I have to I will.

Return to posts index

Robert Castiglione
on Jan 25, 2014 at 8:27:59 am

No I didn't. It was not necessary. I agree that that would have been painful. I tried a hierarchy of possible solutions and luckily it worked short of a reinstall.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]