FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to understand PROJECTS in 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Clark
Trying to understand PROJECTS in 10.1
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:05:51 am

Rebuilding Final Cut Pro X around an Aperture-like self-contained database is a great concept, I love it. I already notice faster performance as a result and moving libraries around many drives is very convenient.

However there's one MASSIVE ISSUE that I'm experiencing that I don't know how to navigate around. It's quite simple really:

Projects used to be viewable all at once in the Project Library, however now Projects live INSIDE the Events, which are in turn INSIDE Libraries. The only way to view a project is to select the LIBRARY > EVENT > SCROLL UP IN CLIP WINDOW > PROJECTS like so:

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-24345997-3560...

So my two curious questions are:

1. HOW THE **** DO YOU VIEW ALL THE PROJECTS AT ONCE?
2. HOW THE **** DO YOU VIEW ALL THE PROJECTS AT ONCE IF YOU HAVE 430 LIBRARIES AND 900 EVENTS?

Well, I'm sure I'm just missing something VERY obvious here. Any help would be awesomely appreciated! : )

Graham

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Trying to understand PROJECTS in 10.1
on Jan 2, 2014 at 4:45:22 pm

You don't. There is no mounted project repository like pre 10.1. As for scrolling up in your library, you might find it more useful to make a keyword collection or event called projects.

Oddly, iMovie actually has the feature you request. It has 2 additional elements in the library browser. It has an icon called all events and another icon called all projects. They will display all the events or projects that are mounted. So, even then, you'd have to load up all your libraries and then choose all projects. And even then they're not scrubbable like the project library was.

The project library was neat, but my guess is that it sucked up computer resources like nobody's business, otherwise we'd have scrubbable projects still.

You can't even shift click multiple libraries in the library browser to search two at once. Apple has definitely tackled the issue of dealing with too much data at once. Even if you load up all your libraries, functions are only affecting one library at a time.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:11:43 pm

You can make an Event containing all your projects in that Library?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:25:25 pm

Sure why not? That's what Apple does when it updates your events/projects to a library. Puts all the projects in an event. Just make an event and drag your projects into it.

I basically have been working with 2 events in my library. One called Media and one called Sequences. The Media event has all my keywords, which I use in some ways like bins.

I think Jeremy mentioned this once, but it seems like Libraries are redundant. They really have no need to exist. Apple could have made events serve the same function. In which case I'd make a keyword collection called projects or sequences.

But that's just for the way I work. Each library is a job for a client, and all I really need is one event if I put projects in a keyword collection. But some may want to create a library for each client if they have ongoing work or some other workflow where it makes sense. So I guess Apple have given us many organizational constructs to work within.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:31:19 pm

And this might be a bit of a tangent but if you copy an event to another Event in the same Library both events will contain original clips but will not take up any more space...weird.

just don't know how you tell FCPX to copy original clips rather than sym links if the clips in the Event are already Sym links?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:38:56 pm

The library is the container for the media. I don't think X will let you have 2 discrete copies of the same file in the library. Since events are just substructures of the library, and you could select just the library, that would mean that 2 identical files would be displayed. But maybe you can highlight the duplicate event and consolidate it to get rid of the sym links (aliases? ).

Wait, so I just tried this. Dragging one event to another in the same library simply merges them. Which makes sense. Only 1 instance of a file allowed. How did you copy one event to another and be left with 2 events?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:41:31 pm

probably a mirage but following a Ripple tutorial which I am watching for the third time.

Maybe I am confused and they are talking about different Libraries on the same drive having the same clips but sharing them by hard links though some kind of wizardry.

sorry if I have confused

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:41:30 pm

I would caution that an FCP X 10.1 Library is more or less like an FCP 7 or Premiere Pro project. It's a self-contained data file in the form of a bundle. You can reveal the structure using "show package contents" but it's intended to stay closed, just like an application file. The key difference is that you have the option of copying media into the Library and that renders and transcodes are in it, as well.

Just like it is not advised to have a ton of FCP 7 projects open, I would also advise against having any more Libraries open than you need at any given time to get your edit done. FCP X has had and still has a problem with RAM leaks.

A friend e-mailed me this morning about slowness at the end of the day that was fixed with a restart. He had a lot of Libraries open. That's the same problem X has had since the beginning.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:29:18 pm

It's really kinda like an Avid project folder with bins inside. It's silly they have made it a package. There was no more need to make libraries a package than to make projects and events packages in previous versions. Last I checked they haven't given us much in the ways of media management other than deleting al render files. Can't delete proxys or high quality media or originals, etc. So you either have to enter the package or use that cool little tool x wiper.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:33:13 pm

[Bret Williams] "It's really kinda like an Avid project folder with bins inside. It's silly they have made it a package"

LOL. I was going to say that, but avoided it, as many here don't like to hear "they copied Avid".
;-)

I suspect Apple made it a package because of their usual thoughts behind simplifying the user experience. Just like there's no point in hiding the user's system Library folder either.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:25:28 pm

And don't forget how they changed save as for duplicate . That really clarified what was previously such a confusing concept.

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:14:46 am

Actually the database design is similar to Aperture libraries, which goes way back on the timeline.

Graham

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:13:08 am

It doesn't copy it as it prompts you it will. Going into the finder folder by showing package contents confirms this!

Just reference links, even though you're 'copying'... : (

Graham

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:45:13 pm

A screen shot-

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:53:24 pm

If you use "external" media rather than "managed" media. You can make a library that contains all of your finished projects. When a project is completed drag a copy of the event containing your project into that library. That way you'd be creating a repository of projects. Of course to make changes you'd have to go find the original library, but at least it would show you at a glance all of your projects.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:54:58 pm

even with External Media it seems to give the option of copying original media if you want it to which answers the question i think.

a bit of trial and error yet I think.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:01:41 pm

[James Ewart] "even with External Media it seems to give the option of copying original media if you want it to "

Yes, when you import media, you always have the option of copying those files into the library or to leave them linked externally. In either case, the files are "managed" so long as you don't move the location of the external files or otherwise alter those files.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:16:06 am

That seems like a workaround on top of a few workarounds.

Why not be able to create Smart Collections at the drive level, or even a level above that? Done.

Graham

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:37:54 am

"I basically have been working with 2 events in my library. One called Media and one called Sequences. The Media event has all my keywords, which I use in some ways like bins."

That's kind of making it work the "old" way isn't it? Not that there is anything wrong with that. I actually like having the projects in my Events. It makes them easier to find if they are 'next door neighbours'.

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:10:45 am

Sure, but you can't do it across multiple libraries.

The issue we're all experiencing here is not being able to view all projects at once. Lost functionality.

Graham

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:12:24 am

Hey Bret,

Creating a Smart Collection on the top-level is not allowed. Therefore that doesn't solve the issue here for us all.

Graham

Return to posts index

Graham Clark
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:21:13 am

I don't see how not being able to view all projects across libraries is efficient. Do you?

Graham

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:52:30 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:58:06 am

I'm not sure it really bothers me. I like being able to keep things separate and nice and tidy. As for having an Event with all your projects in it ... that would confuse me.

As for

"I think Jeremy mentioned this once, but it seems like Libraries are redundant. They really have no need to exist"

I think Libraries are a really useful way of keeping things organised. As Bret suggests, one library per job or client. I love that option. It suits my OCD very nicely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]